Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Company typeahead field not pulling company form data like it would if native company field were used

Level 10

We set all our clients up as "Companies". Each company has a form attached with client and product info. When a new project is opened, we pull some of that company form information via calculated fields into the project depending on what company was selected in the native "Company" field.

I want to make the Company field required. Now I know you can't do that with a native field, so I created a "Company" typeahead field thinking I would hide the native company field via layouts. All good so far.

I created the typeahead company field but it seems it does not connect the project to the company. None of the calculated fields are pulling info from the company form like they are when the native "Company" field was selected.

My calculated field goes something like this:

CONCAT("Client: ", Company.{Client Name}," | Client Code: ", Company.{Client Code}," | Product: ", Company.{Product}," | Product Code: ", Company.{Product Code}," | Therapeutic Area: ", Company.{Therapeutic Area}," | Region: ", Company.{Region}," | Lifecycle: ", Company.{Product Status}," | Product Type: ", Company.{Product Type})

It works perfectly when a client from the the native "Company" field is selected. It appears empty when a client from the "Client" typeahead field is selected.

Does anyone how to make this work?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Randy,

My understanding of Typeaheads is that the object's custom parameters cannot be referenced. Referencing the full collection of object parameters does appear to be on the roadmap: https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XhPJAA0/detail

First two temporary solves that come to mind for your situation are:

1. Fusion: In a project hygiene scenario, check if Company (project custom form) == Company (project setup), and if not, update Company (project setup).
  2. Non Fusion: In a project hygiene dashboard, have a report that displays all projects where Company (project custom form) ≠ Company (project setup), and correct it via inline edit.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Randy,

My understanding of Typeaheads is that the object's custom parameters cannot be referenced. Referencing the full collection of object parameters does appear to be on the roadmap: https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XhPJAA0/detail

First two temporary solves that come to mind for your situation are:

1. Fusion: In a project hygiene scenario, check if Company (project custom form) == Company (project setup), and if not, update Company (project setup).
  2. Non Fusion: In a project hygiene dashboard, have a report that displays all projects where Company (project custom form) ≠ Company (project setup), and correct it via inline edit.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 10

I had thought about a Fusion cleanup automation as a last resort, or…

Maybe I could make a section called "You forgot to fill out the company field!!!" and then make a field that references the company field and if its blank, display the You Forgot section.

That's probably the easiest way since the correct fix is on the roadmap.

The report is a good idea. I already have a "missing project info" report at the top of the Client Services dashboard. I could include it in that.

Level 10

Turns out, you can't set form display rules for the result of a calculated field.

So my idea of making a section called "You forgot to fill out the company field!!!" and then make a field that calculates the company field and if its blank, display the You Forgot section is not gonna work.