Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Capacity Planning - Team Manager's View

Level 6
Hi We have been looking at the capacity planning module in Workfront (Legacy). A question came up from a team manager asking how he would see the resources planned for his team for this year and next - by team member's name as well as work assigned to the project manager role. I can't find anything in Workfront that shows this. There's a few areas to see resource allocations and forecasts for work assigned to/planned for the project manager role as a whole or work assigned to/planned for to actual PMs but nothing combined. Hope this makes sense. Thanks. Laura Ray BAKKAVOR LTD
20 Replies

Level 8
Hi Laura, We actually created "Team Lead Dashboards" after watching another Workfront user present this in a Power Team call. It shows my entire team's utilization, my team's actual hours logged last week, my team's actual hours logged this week, my team's upcoming PTO, etc. I have attached documents with the information, sent to us by David from Intouch (user who presented the information in the call). Hopefully you can utilize some of it as well! Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 2
LIKE! There should be a "Like" button in the community. It's cool to hear how you've benefited from our team :)! Tracy Smith Workfront

Level 10
Hi Brooke, Thanks for the info on the calculated field to get the management hierarchy...very creative! When you say you have utilisation reports, what sort of data is this? An assignment report? And regarding PTO reporting, do you use Workfront's standard PTO funcitonality, or have you created a project for these? Regards, David Cornwell

Level 6
Hi Brooke Looked over your calculated field info and I understand what that does - just about. We already use a custom form on each user so it will be easy to add the new calculated field I'm with David on this - can you provide more details, specifically on the reports on the Dash? Can you send a screenshot and the filters etc? Thanks! Laura Ray BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 8
Agree! There should be a like button here! :) Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 8
Hey David! We use the user's allocation information for the "My Team's Utilization" report. This just allows managers to see what projects their employees are working on and how many hours are allocated to them, in a clear and easy view. This is what it looks like: As far as PTO requests go, we actually set up our own PTO request queue because Workfront's PTO view didn't work for us. When the employee submits a PTO request in the PTO Request Queue, it automatically routes to their manager for approval. I then created a calendar in Workfront to show all of our user's approved planned PTO, grouped by department and color coded. Hopefully this helps! Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 8
Hey Laura! Yes, i'll throw in some screenshots below. I am limited to what all I can share but will do my best :). Most of the black blurred areas are just employee or client names. All of the below screenshots are reports that are on our Team Lead Dashboard we created. This screenshot shows the managers the amount of hours that their employees have logged last week, and hours that were logged this week (this uses the calculated field). Use the same filters for both reports, just change the hour entry dates as needed. Use "Owner>Name" for the Grouping. This will show timesheets that they need to review/approve, requests they need to review/approve. It also brings in their team's PTO requests on the calendar. Timesheet Review Report Filters are below. No groupings used. Requests I Need to Review Filters are below. No groupings used. You will need to customize the statuses to whatever makes sense in your organization. We also added in our PTO calendars to their dashboard so they can see their team only as well as companywide. I hope this helps! Let me know :). Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 10
I loooove the idea of the request queue for PTO! We were using the built-in function because tasks would schedule based on logged PTO, but in reality our Portfolio Managers etc. more want the ability to view it in a calendar-type format. Nice! Jamie Hill JLL

Level 10
Totally agree!! I love that too! I've had a task on my Backlog to write a report for the PMs to see when people are out. I think I like this idea better. Thanks!! Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | Senior IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: 303-628-7262 | c: 303-319-6473 Http://www.denverwater.org Sent via mobile phone

Level 10
Hi Brooke, I see. We've never really used the resource grid view on a report because it only shows utilisation from projects with a Current status.....projects in planning or already completed don't show. We want to get the full picture of the utilisation of a resource (at least Current + Complete statuses anyway). We've toyed with the PTO calendar concept too, but at this stage we still use the official PTO functionality for scheduling convenience, and live with the dire lack of reporting! :) There'd sure be a lot of happy customers if Workfront can spend a bit of time sorting PTO functionality out! Regards, David Cornwell

Level 1
Hi Brooke, Our organization is just getting Workfront implemented. I would be very interested in learning more about the "Team Lead Dashboards" you mentioned and getting my hands on those documents from the presenter you mentioned. I am also new to this community so not sure if I can access them on this thread or not. Thank you! Jen Marshall MarComm Project Manager WEX Inc. 207-251-6356

Level 8
Hey Jen! Welcome :). If you scroll up on this post, you can see all of the documents/screen shots I've attached. Let me know if you have troubles finding it and you can email me directly and I'll send. Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 8
Ahh! Thanks, Jamie! We had to get creative because we needed that view as well :). It's been a game changer for us! Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 8
Woohoo! So glad to hear that. It's awesome setting up the request queue because you can easily build reports that tie into it as well! Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 6
wow this is a great solution, i've been working this through direct reports then teams then groups to get to 3 - 4 tiers, but that also means creating variants on the dashboards. I like your solution much better - much easier to maintain thank you for sharing! Ryan Carroll Integrated Marketing Services

Level 7
This is MONEY!! I can't wait to try it! Beth Calvaresi Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 10
Hi, Brooke. Can you explain more about the Power Team call? Are you a group of users from different companies? Thank you, ~ Susan

Level 10
Hi @Brooke Vaughan , I have just used the code and field you recommended but sadly it doesn't work exactly as i expected. The easiest way to explain what's the problem is, so: PMO is reporting to Manager C, and Manager C is reporting to Manger B (Senior Manager). Also Security Team reports to Manager B. Once I applied the filter by Owner>>Calculated Manager contains $$USER.name Manager can see Manager C, Security Team and PMO Team. The issue is, that for some reason couple of members of PMO aren't showed on this report. They've got exactly same setting as the rest of PMO so not sure where it went wrong now.. Any ideas? :) Thanks, Dags Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 8
Hi Susan, Yes. Workfront hosts the meeting and we are all representatives from our different companies.Tracy Smith, from Workfront, is who hosts the meeting I attend. Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 8
That sounds like there may be a bug somewhere if all reporting lines are set up correctly. I used this code from another team member of the power team calls. Sorry, wish I could help but I don't have the answer :(. Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation