Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!
SOLVED

Calculated field - Calculate on first instance of text and not change after

Level 5

Hi community! I have a calculated field that determines if a request queue issue was submitted via email or the form. (Formula below). It's working correctly but if someone changes the queue topic on the issue, it recalculates and changes the value. I'd like for it to calculate the first time and then never change. I know this is possible but I don't know how. Can anyone help?

IF({queueTopicID}="6335e54d00928f36d0689d4974d7f342", "Email", "Form")
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

To lock a calculated field to its first value, it needs to reference itself to see if a value has already been written.

In your example, it would look like this (presuming the name of your calculated field is something like "Source"):

IF(ISBLANK({DE:Source}),IF({queueTopicID}="6335e54d00928f36d0689d4974d7f342","Email","Form"),{DE:Source})

The logic is: "if the calculated field "Source" is blank, give it a value using this IF statement. If "Source" is not blank (because a value has already been written to it), keep the existing value."

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

To lock a calculated field to its first value, it needs to reference itself to see if a value has already been written.

In your example, it would look like this (presuming the name of your calculated field is something like "Source"):

IF(ISBLANK({DE:Source}),IF({queueTopicID}="6335e54d00928f36d0689d4974d7f342","Email","Form"),{DE:Source})

The logic is: "if the calculated field "Source" is blank, give it a value using this IF statement. If "Source" is not blank (because a value has already been written to it), keep the existing value."

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf