Expand my Community achievements bar.

Business Case and Scorecards

Level 6
We are starting to make business case use mandatory as well as implement scorecards so that we can better utilise the portfolio and program features in Workfront. I'd like to find out how others are using Business Case and Scorecards and your experience with them, tips and tricks, custom forms that work well with and any other help and advice you can pass on... Thanks!
7 Replies

Level 10
Thank you, Laura. We, too, are also starting to implement those features and I would love to hear how others are utilizing.

Level 9
Same here. We're actually evolving our use of Portfolios and Programs starting this month so the features you're talking about will be next on our list to research.

Level 5
Business Case and Scorecards were one of the main features that helped us select Workfront. Our company uses the information contained with the BC to gain project approval within our Finance Approval processes (depending on total cost, different levels of approvals are required). With out these financial approvals, we are not scheduling any technology resources as our senior management is not interested in completing work without evaluating cost and benefit of the request. Within the BC, we have set up 3 custom questions in the scorecard that are most important to our organization (main driver of project, priority within division, expected ROI) and drives the alignment score. That allows our senior management team to evaluate the project based on the total cost, total benefit and the alignment to our goals to ensure we are using our technology resources wisely. Historically we have also used this information to break the tie if two projects required the same resource; most positive impact to the organization gets first dibs. Hope that helps

Level 1
How do you keep the scoring fair across all portfolios, divisions or departments and at what points along the way might they be re-scored if/when additional input is received (e.g. feasibility, level of development effort, etc.). For example, one division's scoring on competitive advantage may be interpreted differently than others. Any best practices to share on scoring models?

Level 10
Tracy, I take it you had to create an approval path for requested projects (BC). Just did a test one and it still allowed me to submit, however, I don't believe it went anywhere since an approval path wasn't created. I was worried, and thought my project request was getting sent somewhere by default.

Level 5

Hi Susan

Yes we have created several project approvals for our business case all dependent on the total value and impact of the project.

The way we set-up the approval process to trigger is a little odd (as explained to me it is how the Business Case approval process ties to the project status overall), but it works for us.

Once you create a custom Project Approval process (a sample of one of ours is attached here), you add it to your project or template if you use those. When our Business Analyst completes the business case, they "submit" for approval and also "approve" the business case in the same step after refreshing their screen. Once they have done this, the overall project approval picks up on the project status of being "approved" and sets the process in motion and the project is in a project status of "approved-pending approval" while waiting.

It sounds confusing, but it works for us. Let me know if you need further clarification.0690z000007ZkDcAAK.png

Level 10
Hi, Tracy. Thank you! I'll check it out.