Expand my Community achievements bar.

Bulk Edit Predecessors

Employee
Hello, Is there away to bulk edit task Predecessors? Thank you -- Laurel
31 Replies

Level 10
Perhaps, Laurel: are you using Templates, and if so, would you describe an example of such a bulk update of Task Predecessor(s)? Regards, Doug

Employee

0690z000007ZkNNAA0.pngHello Doug,

I am attempting to close out 100s of projects with over 6500 tasks, which most of the tasks have predecessors. Which means I can't bulk update to complete together. I believe that templates were used to create the projects orginally.

As I am typing, I am thinking I can use the template task name to sort and close them in order. Hmmm I will try and see if this might work.

Any other ideas are welcome -- Laurel

Level 7
Why can't you bulk edit the tasks to "complete"? I have tasks with predecessors and I can still bulk edit them to complete, even with an "enforced" predecessor.

Employee
I would have to update the tasks in order - the system won't let me close (complete) a task with a predecessor not complete. I wish I could sort predecessor - that would make it easier.

Level 7
What error are you getting? I'm saying you CAN bulk edit them to complete. Maybe there's some setting somewhere. I'll look for that.

Employee
Below is the error I get when I bulk update all of the tasks. Bulk updates works if I update the tasks in predecessor order. [cid:image001.png@01D24A1B.075D8EB0]

Level 7
Hmm, that's interesting Laurel. I don't know what the difference is, but you can see on this video that I can "complete" many tasks at once, even though they have predecessors on them. "http://screencast.com/t/1zdd3jQtE" http://screencast.com/t/1zdd3jQtE

Level 5
Can you add a filter or grouping of the is ready field? On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM Greg Beck < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > Hmm, that's interesting Laurel. I don't know what the difference is, but > you can see on this video that I can "complete" many tasks at once, even > though they have predecessors on them. > > http://screencast.com/t/1zdd3jQtE > > -----End Original Message----- >

Level 10
Hi: If what you want to do is close a bunch of tasks across hundreds of projects, why not create a report of the tasks that: 1) Are associated with the projects of interest; 2) Have number_of_children=0; Then, run the report and mass edit all of the tasks. We do this all the time to bulk close tasks on projects. Does this help at all? Eric

Employee
I am doing something very similar - I already have the number of children = 0 and I have added a prompt on Template Task Number - It allows me to complete the tasks in order.

Level 10
Laurel - I think the thing we are struggling with is the fact that WorkFront doesn’t let you mass close tasks. It appears to you that you have to close them in order. A number of us are scratching our head on that, because WorkFront doesn’t make us close tasks in that order. Can you shoot a movie of you closing tasks, and it throwing an error because you aren’t closing them in predecessor order? Thanks, Eric

Employee
Attached is a video - not sure if it will upload or not. I did upload a screen shot in a previous response.

Level 10
Hi - Thanks so much for uploading that video. I have to say - Fascinating! - I've never seen WorkFront do that. I created the same report and mass edited tasks that have predecessors. I uploaded the video... I'd have WorkFront Tech Support help explain why you are getting those error messages and no one else (apparently) gets that kind of message. Thanks! Eric

Employee
Gosh - I honestly don’t like being unique on this ☺ Thanks everyone - I will raise it with Workfront and see what they say.

Level 7
Also, I might try deselecting that particular task (and it's predecessor) where you getting the error and try it again. There may be something special/unique about that task and its predecessor.

Level 10
We need closure, Laurel. Please do reply and tell us what it turns out to be. Thanks! Eric

Level 8
We haven’t heard back from Workfront yet, but since I’m impatient, what I ended up doing was adding a Task -> Task Number prompt to the report and then starting at 1, I did a bulk edit and set them to Complete status. By going in order, I eventually got through all 4000+ tasks (although there were still some weird errors along the way). Adina

Level 10
Ugh. Sorry you had to brute force it. I’ll still be interested in what WorkFront says about closing tasks in predecessor order… Thanks for the update! Eric

Employee
Workfront came back with that the children need to be closed first - well I had removed all parents, and still was getting the error. They so far have not had an answer as to why I couldn’t make the updates.