Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Best practices on following through with tasks

Level 2
What are the best practices on making sure the tasks get completed? We have a good amount of Workfront users who constantly feel they are babysitting others on the project to ensure tasks are done on time especially if the tasks are predecessors to theirs. Do other companies have the same issue? What do others do to get things moving? Norma Awad Esri
5 Replies

Level 1
Great question! Yes, my department experiences this concern. I have one staff member that almost goes berserk about a red dot being associated with a task she is assigned. So many things can happen to put someone behind on a particular task that we have a 10 business day clause. Tasks are due when they are due but I will not be alarmed until after 10 business days. I have a weekly one on one meeting with each staff member and review the boards. There is a report that allows me to review all the tasks assigned to someone and it's sorted by oldest due date. We both can clearly see any problem tasks. They can tell me why they are having trouble and I can try to help them get the task completed. Hopefully, the weekly one on one's makes sure tasks never get past 5 business days due. With this system, if tasks are routinely past 10 business days then is a performance problem. We also are in the habit of padding project due dates. It is so hard to factor every consideration and padding helps manage submitters expectations. My goal is to not have the 10 business day clause be noticed by the submitter. I hope the helps a bit and I am interested in how others manage this topic. Becky Batman IU Foundation Showalter House

Level 10
What a great question. I have the same problem. Right now I'm telling the project managers to just update a task to 100% if they know it's done and not start a flame war over it. However, this truce isn't going to last for long and the resentment is simmering. Jill Ackerman | Director, Direct Marketing Lindblad Expeditions 96 Morton Street | New York, NY 10014 Ph. 212.261.9080 | Fax. 212.265-3770 jilla@expeditions.com | "http://www.expeditions.com/"> www.expeditions.com

Level 1
We have this issue also. Most of the time the work is being completed, and people are not updating Workfront with information on the task. We try to reinforce that entering their information in Workfront will reduce time in meetings, emails, and impacts to others. If someone emails me their update, I send it back and ask that they add it to the task. To keep things moving in meetings, I will update the task with the current status and any notes discussed. If people are habitually not updating their tasks, and I've reminded them repeatedly, I follow up with their supervisor to request they maintain the statuses. The PMs on my team handle in a similar fashion, however, they are more easygoing then I am about it. We discuss the roadblocks with someone if they are not addressing their tasks. It's usually due to capacity concerns, so I'll work with their supervisor and leadership to help them prioritize the work that is needed. Sometimes this means we have to make adjustments to our plan. Molly McMahon PMP USE Credit Union

Level 3
I loved this question and the responses stated so far! Everyone benefits by ensuring the project data is current and accurate. Here are some practices I have used and seen across many work management products. These have worked in clients across many industries and business focus areas. One or more may help you. Avoid the wars between planners, users, teams, and departments? Implement a cultural shift with a theme of "we are in this together?" Everyone is converted to owning the data and its quality. Everyone is responsible for their part as they fit in with the whole. Everyone helps another appropriate for the whole to succeed. Babysitting the project data daily is essential for on-demand work management applications. The project planner becomes the steward for ensuring the data is current and accurate. The project planner should be checking and updating data daily to avoid the trap of weekly panic-like project updates. Resource managers become responsible for user assignment utilization conflicts. Like the project planner, the resource manager should be checking and updating assignments daily, lessening conflicts and overloads. The users become responsible for executing assignments, calling for time-outs with planners and resource managers when conflicts or overloads occur Pursue the cultural practice of "what have you completed today?" Focusing the users on what has been completed shifts their thinking to prioritizing work towards what can I finish today instead of starting too many items. This shift then leads to increased updates of the completion status and dates. These then move into reports on user accomplishments being shown for users, teams, and groups. There is more to this practice, but this is the essence. Get off the computer! The project and resource planners benefit from talking with the assignees more often than weekly. Consider the daily walk-about technique. Make a daily list of important items to cover with workers, peers, leads, managers, etc. Use the list to start a conversation, in person or on the phone. These conversations often result in happier teams, more cohesive work efforts, and improved data quality. In one experience example, I did this with a marketing team member back in the early 2000s. Each day, I showed up with her morning coffee (one sugar and one cream) to talk over what she had done the day prior and what was coming up. She was ready to work on my project each morning and finished always on time with better quality. It was a wonderful experience. Reduce the email reminders and notifications. The use of these only creates more work for the users. Consider the amount of time needed to check emails, which these notifications are creating more of. Focus users on developing the habit for having the work management tool open for active, all day use. The data in one place will help build better engagement, naturally leading to improved data quality. Make tasks relevant, easy to understand, and easy to manage. Focus on finished (interim or final) deliverables instead of actions steps. Assign work tasks (no parents) to keep work precision aligned to the work management tool functions. Avoid the use of reminder tasks that are in the plan as quality checks of simple to do items; these clutter up assignment and resource management data. Other tricks to this technique include: Task Name or Issue Name Compose a very short version (200 characters) of the description. Use noun-prefixed phrases on the parent tasks. Use verb-prefixed phrases on the work assignment tasks. Use noun-prefixed phrases on issues. Task Description or Issue Description Explain what needs to be done and why. Explain what will be reviewed to ensure the task or issue is completed - mentioning the deliverable by name is handy. Task Duration Plan with greater time durations. Small time durations create extra work for users based on how work management tools show data across functions. Assignments Use the project management equation of one task = one owner. This single named assignment technique ensures that one person is always responsible for a work assignment. Single assignments reduce the likelihood that a social loafer will wait on someone else to do the work. This technique also helps in easing resource management overhead across all tasks and users. Documents Exploit the use of document attachments or external file references to include desktop procedures (SOP) that should be followed for a work assignment. This formalized SOP technique reduces the "how do I?" factor on work assignments, especially for new people who may need help from others like the planners. Use targeted and purposeful reports. Implement standardized reports for the standard involved personas. Reports for all users should show work assignments coming up to start next 5 days, already started, and overdue to start. This style of reporting keeps users moving along in a daily work management rolling window. Reports for planners should show something similar but across the active projects. Reports for resource managers should also show something similar but filtered on the users involved with the resource manager, one or more teams, and one or more group. All the reports should be implemented with inline edit in mind, especially to reduce the navigation overhead of opening each item to make updates like status and percent complete. Use the work management tool in meetings! Consider taking notes, adding action items, and making updates directly in the tool instead of updating later. For example, many traffic management teams are composed of the planners and resource managers. Together, they open the assignment management reports to talk through the workloads and priorities. Assignments are updated during the session. Dates on plans are updated too. Action items are added as issues on related tasks and projects. Follow up is tracked immediately. The meetings are often run twice weekly; Fridays and Tuesdays are preferred. There are many more ideas to use, but these are the ones I had time to reflect on this morning. As always, you are welcome to message me for more information. Doug Williams NETSource Consulting

Level 10
Great points thanks for taking the time to type it all up Eric