Expand my Community achievements bar.

Automatically updating project timelines based on predecessors

Level 3
Is it possible to create a predecessor relationship that will automatically update a planned start date if the predecessor task is complete. For example, if two tasks are chained together but task 1 is completed late is it possible for the planned start date of task 2 to update on it's own? Similar to the way projected dates work. Cameron Howitt
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Cameron, That's actually exactly how it's supposed to work. But you would need to make sure the Task Constraints are set properly. Typically you want As Soon As Possible . But Start No Earlier Than , will also work. You can get to this setting under Edit Task. Or I created a View that shows that field in a column, so I can change them inline when I notice the Preds are working properly. Let me know if that doesn't help.

Level 10
Hi Cameron, That is only going to happen if you change the Planned Completion Date of Task 1 when it is completed. There isn't a way (that I know of) where you can have the predecessor relationship be Actual Completion Date affects the Planned Start Date of the successor. Sorry. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Yes, that is true (I was assuming you were already changing the Planned Completion Date). It's also important to note that if your Task finished early and you mark it complete your Planned Completion Date doesn't change or move to your early (or Actual Date). It will remain what it was. Thus, you're successor tasks will not move up like they should. So whenever I mark a task Complete, I also make sure to change the Planned Completion Date to be accurate. This ensures my successor tasks fall into place as well.

Level 1
The planned dates will not change as everyone has mentioned, but your projected start and completion dates will change and show you what will most likely happen now that a task is finished early (or possibly late). The other consideration, is that when a task is completed early, the next dependent task will show up in a users "Ready to Start" task list even if the planned start date is in the future. Essentially, if someone get's their task done early, they are giving the next task assignee a longer duration. If you want to adjust the plan, you'll need to follow the advice of the other comments in this thread and manually adjust the planned date to reflect the actual completion date to adjust the entire project timeline below. Admin User isaac.etter@workfront.com