Expand my Community achievements bar.

Automatically add project owner to task

Level 2
Hi - We use project templates that having a marketing manager role which needs to be manually changed to the name of the person opening the project (project owner) when the project is opened. Is there a way to automate this so that either the project owner is automatically added to each task or even better so that the project owner's name replaces the job role in the template on certain tasks? Amanda Levine Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
5 Replies

Level 4
Amanda, There is not a native way to do this in Workfront but there are a few options. First, use Workfront Fusion to do this Second, use the Staffing tab and Scheduling to make the assignments based on Job Roles. This will allow you to assign the same person to all tasks with the same job role without having to individually assign each task. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see an example!! Thanks! David
DAVID A. TAYLOR Founder & Managing Consultant

Level 10
Hi Amanda, In addition to David's suggestions, since these Tasks are based on a Template, you might also consider creating and sharing a "Standard PM Tasks" filter (e.g. that searches for Tasks with That Role, and/or includes only the desired Tasks, based on their Template Task IDs), and training your PMs (upon creating a new Project) to apply that filter, then bulk update all the Tasks to themselves. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 7
Another suggestion to add to the mix is for the Marketing Manager to use "Staffing" on the project to bulk edit assignments to themselves. Project --> More --> Staffing (or you could move "Staffing" so that it is a tab at the Project Level) --> Actions It defaults to "Assign User", and then you can select the job role (e.g., Marketing Manager) to assign, and then can add name. This will bulk assign all of the tasks on the project that indicate "Marketing Manager" with their name. Now, this may sound like a lot of steps, but it really only takes a couple of seconds to do on a project. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 3
I use a filters like this to assign the owner all of their tasks at creation. In fact I have several built and shared for common roles so that the project owner can 'quick assign' tasks to the users who will be fulfilling that role in the project. I find however, that if a task owner (ie project owner) assigns a task to themselves, the task commit date then becomes the task planned completion date. Since this is at project creation and so therefore no adjustments have been made (Add, Delete, Change template tasks) self assigned at creation becomes a problem due to the way Commit dates drive the projected dates and 'late' notifications in WF. I have not figured out a way for a self assigned task to not get a commit date too but would welcome a solution to that... so for that reason alone I try to tell any would be task owner NOT to assign themselves to the task until they verify that the planned complete date is 'mostly' accurate. Jim Brown FujiFilm Medical Systems, USA

Level 4
Thanks for sharing this! This should save a lot of time for us. Jennifer Miklasz Fidelity International