Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Attaching a document to a proof

Level 6
When we send our design proofs through fro approvals we often need to attach the original document that was supplied by the Requestor so the approvers can make sure all of the changes requested were made correctly. The requestor attaches their changes as a document on the request. Is there a way to forward that document & the new proof we are submitting for approval together to be reviewed? Right now we have to download their document and then attach it as part of our new proof but it seems crazy that I have to take the document out of Workfront in order to send it back into Workfront for a proof approval. Anyone else encounter this? thanks Tracy Parmeter
13 Replies

Level 7
PHQ has a side-by-side comparison feature which would let you compare 2 documents at the same time. If you had a proof with 4 versions you could have v4 on one side of the screen and v1 on the other. Have you tried this functionality? Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 6
Yes I’ve done that with different versions of a proof or a proof with multiple files but what I am trying to do is send a document that is already in the documents tab on the project along with a new proof file without having to download the document out of Workfront and then attach it again though the add new proof option. Sent from my iPhone

Level 8
Take the original (requestor) document that's alreaady in Workfront. Add a proof to it with only yourself as an approver. WF Doc Version = 1, Proof Version =1. Then select the V1 document and choose 'Add new version', 'Proof'. This will be V2 of the proof (and document) in WF. Add in the approvers and they can now view side by side and use auto-compare. Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 2
Hey Tracy, You might consider comparing them as separate proofs. If you generate a proof from the initial document, and then highlight both proofs in the document menu, you should be able to compare them to one another: Once two proofs are selected (proofs, not documents), you should see the "Compare Proofs" button appear. This only works if they're in the same folder, unless you back out to a higher view where the folders are removed (if you upload to a task in folders, you can back out to the project document section to see the documents without folders). In fact, you can even go to the general Documents tab in your instance to compare any two proofs in your system. Jason DAquin

Level 6
I love this feature it will help me out. But I am looking for the best way for an approver who only sees the proof in Proof HQ to be able to see the original document and the most recent proof. I tried the previous suggestion and it works as long as no other versions are added in between the original and the one they are sending, but there are usually a few rounds of changes before these proofs make it to our upper management for review and they will want to see the original file along with what they are proofing. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Level 7
@Tracy Parmeter The way that we approach this situation is that the original document is v1, this is used as a reference and any artwork revisions are uploaded on top of this proof. This allows us to have the reference document in one pane and the updated document in the other. Using the version picker menu allows you to easily define which version displays in each page Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 6
Perfect, It was the version selector I was missing, but I found it and this will work perfectly. Thank you for all your help.

Level 1
@Richard Carlson Is there a way to compare just one page of an existing file with a new version of a singular page. For example comparing page "5" out of a 10pg document against v2 of page "5"? ~Crystal Crystal Robinson The Home Depot

Level 7
Hi Crystal, There might be a behind-the-scenes way to do it in PHQ, but to the best of my knowledge, in the split screen tool we are limited in that we can only see individual versions of the existing proof. There doesn't seem to be a way to choose any other file in either of the splitscreens. One suggestion to get around this limitation might be to add the 2nd document as a version of the existing document. Another idea that might work - open a private browsing window and load the one proof in your regular browser and 1 in the private browsing window. Hope this helps! Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 8
When you compare versions, you get the little toolbar down the bottom between the two where you can choose side-by-side or overlay, and turn pixel-by-pixel comparison on or off. The little blue 'document' symbol right where the split is (third icon along, 'Simultaneous navigation') synchronises the two pages. Turning it off (so it's white instead of blue) lets you navigate to different pages, scroll independently etc. Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 2
Richard - Are you using PHQ standalone or Workfront Proof from Workfront's Documents section within projects? If you're using the standalone, you can use the folder icon next to the proof name in the proof viewer to select any other proof in that folder in PHQ to compare to. Note - if it's not in the same folder as the proof you're viewing, it won't show up. We use this feature regularly for versioning quality control (same piece for different region etc.). If you're viewing proofs directly from Workfront, you can just select two documents and use the "Compare Proofs" button (see my post further up on this thread for details). I do believe that both documents have to be proofs for this to work - I don't think you can compare a non-proof document with a proof document. Jason DAquin

Level 7
@Crystal Robinson I think that the Compare Proofs feature would work for you if you wanted to compare 2 independent documents Alternately, if you need to 'break the scroll lock' between documents in the proof split you can toggle the Simultaneous Navagation option in the proof viewer I didn't realize there were still people using PHQ standalone! We have been using the integrated version since we onboarded WF 3 years ago, prior to that we had PHQ for a few years by itself. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation