Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Assigning multiple Role options to Task

Level 2
This may be pretty basic but I could use some help to brainstorm a bit. We have some tasks in our templates that could be completed by a couple different roles so we have those two roles under Assignments. It does appear that one has to be Task owner (even though Help documentation seems to indicate this is optional). To be clear these tasks are not meant to be a shared assignment but simply one that could be assigned to users under different roles. The problem comes when our users attempt to assign someone who is not in the role designated as task or assignment Owner. They are unable to unless they delete that owner role under assignments first. Part of the issue may be that we give the users a view with Assigned To column to enter the user. I guess my question boils down to this. Is it possible to add multiple Roles to a task assignment where either one filled becomes the Task Owner? I'm looking for more of an either or role assignment as opposed to a true multiple Role assignment. I'm also considering using a new role the encompasses both of these other roles but I am concerned about impact to Resource Management down the line. Tim Watts Disney Institute
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Tim, I'll maybe preface this what's-turned-into-a-long-answer by saying that I found your question to be far from basic; bear with me. For Resource Management purposes, whenever possible, I try to stick with Template Role per Task, which in time gets assigned to one eligible User (i.e. where the User has that Role among their Roles, from a skills perspective). Although it might require a more Tasks to be created (e.g. three single person Tasks instead of a single Team Meeting for with three assignees), I've found that this approach gives the most accurate and traceable results in Resource Planning, promotes accountability, and sets Workfront up neatly for "http://store.atappstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/AssignRoleAssignResource.gif">automatic resource assignment , for those situations that could benefit from that approach. That said, if I'm following, I appreciate that you're trying to do something different: have two potential Task Owner Roles waiting on the Template Tasks, which then wait on the Project Task for clarity as to which Role (and really, "who") will take the lead, BUT are hitting a snag when -- prior to that leader being assigned -- other users try to assign other users who presumably need to help with the task, but lack either of those lead Roles -- but Workfront, in trying to assing the PRIMARY Role first, attempts to validate those other users' Roles and rejects them. Your current workaround is to then remove the two potential Task Owner Roles (hmm...which defeats the purpose of having them on the Template), but thereby giving Workfront the latitude to assign any of those other user to the Task. As a side effect, I suspect your current workaround will also default that other User to be the Primary User on the Task. If that doesn't matter -- that is, if the norm is that this other User can and will be the only person on the Task, then I'd suggest you drop the two potential Task Owner Roles waiting on the Template: they're not worth the trouble. On the other hand, if the (desired) norm is that such Tasks SHOULD have their Primary User assigned to someone with one of those two potential Task Owner Roles, PLUS whichever additional other Users with other skills (as secondary Assignees), well: that is pretty Advanced Stuff. As I think about it, it's more of a procedure challenge, so, in the latter's case, perhaps consider this: add the Assigned To column TWICE to the view you've already given your users, rename the first column as "Primary Assignment" (perhaps adding a tool tip explaining that someone with one of the two potential Task Owner Roles must be assigned FIRST, and rename the second column as "additional Assignee(s)" (with a tool tip saying that it's only available once the primary Assignee is assigned) add conditional logic to the second column to show the text "MAKE PRIMARY ASSIGNMENT FIRST" if the Primary User has not yet been assigned; otherwise, show the regular Assigned To control train people to as to why this process is important (...noting that once the Primary Assignment is made, that either column can then be used to make Assignments...meh) Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Thanks for the response to my question. We only actually need one resource to work on the task but it could pull from two different user "roles". I think my problem may be how I think about roles in this case. We have two different titled positions that could either complete that task. At the time of project creation from the template, the project owner assigns a resource. I think I may be guilty of using titles as roles. My thought now is to create a new role in Workfront that matches need across titles and just using that role for these template tasks. Tim Watts Disney Institute