Expand my Community achievements bar.

Any option to transpose task rows to column

Level 4
Hi, We have a unique report requirement. Each project has 3 deployment tasks - Deployment 1, Deployment 2 and Deployment 3. We need to create a report which will list each project with planned completion dates of each of the three deployment dates as columns - Project Name Deployment 1 Date Deployment 2 date Deployment 3 date In a database query this will be relatively simple with the help of joins. Is there any way to get a report like this in Workfront?
6 Replies

Level 10
Yes, you’ll need to study this Forum for Text Mode and SHARECOL. The SHARECOL function in Text Mode does what you are looking for. I’m no expert at it, but instead rely on others on this forum. Search the forum for SHARECOL and you’ll see how it works. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Hi Sadashiv. I suggest you consider adding Milestones to those three tasks in question, and then running a Milestone report to display the dates, as per https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217298357-Associating-a-Milestone-with-a-Task Regards, Doug

Level 4
Hi, Thank you both for your suggestions. We could not add milestones to those tasks. However, text mode did the trick. We had to write text mode to iterate through the tasks on the project and check for a specific task name and put its planned completion date. displayname=Pol Admin Deploy Date listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(tasks).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({name}="Deploy Pol Admin/ECM",{plannedCompletionDate}) valueformat=HTML

Level 2
In addition to this incredibly insightful block of text mode, is there a way to additionally enable the resulting field value to be in-line editable? In my case, I am leveraging this technique for Planned Completion Dates, and I can't use the Milestone report because I need other project columns too.

Level 4
Hi, To the best of my knowledge, Workfront does not allow in line edit for columns which have been populated using text mode. The columns always appear as read only. I think at back end, there will be too much complexity to associate a particular value populated through text mode with the individual task that it is associated with. Hence they may not be allowing in line edit for text mode columns.

Level 10
Sadashiv, respectfully, in my experience, whether a column has been formatted in Text Mode (including just "flipping" to it and saving -- an easy test I encourage you to try yourself), its editability is not affected unless the valuefield= is changed to valueexpression=, the latter being a technique I sometimes use to intentionally force a read only result. Randy, to now sadly dash what little hope I might have just given you, the reason you cannot edit the list of enumerated Tasks on this Project report you are working on is (pardon the circular logic) because it is a list of enumerated Tasks on a Project report. The Rule for editing data within a grid in Workfront is that only data at the object level upon which the report is based may be edited. So, on a Project report, the Project Name, Owner, Custom Data, etc. can be edited; but (for example) neither the Portfolio Name (pulled down) nor the list of Tasks (pulled up) may be edited. Regards, Doug