Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adding groups, pools, users to projects for scheduling

Level 2
We're new to Workfront, but I've gone through the training programs for Admins, Project Managers, and Resource Managers. I've also attended and reviewed Workfront webinars for resource management and scheduling, and combed through the Help files and Community forums. I've not found the answer to this question though. Our company has spent a lot time setting up pools, groups, job roles in a way that reflects our organizational structure. We're not using Legacy Scheduling. Here's my question: I've created a new project based on a template. The Project Details shows a certain resource pool assigned and a home group assigned. Team Scheduling Settings are all 'on' with the exception of " Limit Assignments to the Group associated with the Project" (although I've experimented turning it off and on). On the Staffing tab of the project, none of those resources listed in the resource pool or group automatically appear. I click on the People subtab of the Staffing tab and only the Project Owner and Template Owner are listed. On the Scheduling subtab of the Staffing tab exists a button to Add Users, but it only lets me add individual users, not groups. I need to be able to see all potential resources for a particular task (or more likely a series of related tasks) so I can choose the best fit. It would be cumbersome to add each user within groups to each project every time. I thought that's the purpose of having pools/groups assigned in the Details of the project? Outside of using the Resource Scheduler (People-> Scheduling), is there something I'm missing in the Project Staffing area? Thanks in advance for your insight! Sandra Ellaneous Thomson Reuters Elite
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Sandra, I don't think you're missing anything really. My understanding is that Groups are used for default project sharing settings, and for listing people on the Group tab in the legacy Team Builder application. Resource Pools are used by the Resource Planner. In terms of adding people to the project team, this is done automatically when you assign someone to a task via the Tasks tab or the People-Scheduling screen, or otherwise you can manually add them to the project team the way you're doing it on the Project-Scheduling Tab. In terms of finding the right people to assign to a task, this is more practical on the People-Scheduling screen, where you can match by Role. One nice thing about then old Team Builder was that it also matched based on their availability, which you can't do in the new Scheduling tool (yet, at least). Regards, David Cornwell

Level 2
Thank you David. I was looking at the People Scheduler as if it's to be used as the initial high-level planner/scheduler, and Project Staffing would be for relatively impromptu projects (if that makes sense), but your answer gives me better insight. I think I'll focus more on building additional filters in that People Scheduler area. Right now our resource pools are very broad so practically everyone in our company shows up in that scheduler. Back in April there was a Q&A style Workfront webinar for Resource Managers. They said that with the new resource planner you want pools to reflect your organizational structure. Here's some notes I frantically jotted down from it in case it's helpful to others. Right now our pools aren't quite set up this way. Pools - how they contribute to capacity planning, how to set them up: Groups, teams, pools… how to make it simple Pools: in the planning phase, degree of unknown is the greatest. Pools (new feature) were created to help with planning. Don't know the specific person, but needs to know if the skillset can cover the amount of work Group capacity for roles Can add 3 different teams to one resource pool. Consider all of them for capacity What you need to know when you plan for upcoming work?- build pools to answer that question Some resources are more scares than others. Very specialized. Put them in own resource pool. (can be managed down to the half hour) New model: Resource pool, keep one person to one pool. Can have multiple pools applied to one project. Sandra Ellaneous Thomson Reuters Elite