Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Adding a custom field to a view

Level 2
I need to add a field that will allow a resource to provide the number of hours remaining to complete a task. for example: Planned hours may have been 40 hours. The resource has put in 12 hours but is only 20% complete. The system assumes that there are 32 hours remaining. The resource may have identified that the original estimate of 40 hours was wrong. And, that there is still 40 hours to go. I want the resource to be able to tell me that there is still 40 hours remaining so I can process a change order with my customer. I want to add this field in a view, not a form, as it is easier to update the project in a view. I was hoping to find a few placeholder fields such as Text1, Text2,... Number1, Number2, .... that I could use in my view. Nothing like that exists. C Moffett GPSL
5 Replies

Level 10
I'm not sure if I'm misreading your question, so maybe this answer is a bit basic. In order to add a custom field to a view, you need to have added it to a custom form for that object (so in your case, if you're editing a list of projects, your project's custom form needs to have that field). Once it's on the form, you can add it to the view and fill it out there. -skye

Level 6
Another option you may want to consider is having the user add an issue to the task. You can process the issues together into a change order and resolve them as you go. This could be an issue type of change order, something that exists out of the box. If you need to add a custom to any issue logged on the project, you can do that in the template by going into the queue properties and add the form, but not publish it as a help desk queue. This will give you the ability to auto-assign the issue as well as add the custom for each time a user adds an issue onto that project. Marty Gawry - CapabilitySource

Level 3
I agree with Marty. We have trained our team members that if something is wrong with a task to raise an issue. To Marty's point, we have created a couple of queue topics that help us classify and obtain the right amount of information in order to best resolve the issue (e.g. change order to customer, timeline shift, assumption change, risk identification, etc.) Dale Whitchurch Arthrex Inc

Level 7
Hi Chris, Custom fields need to live on a custom form, which needs to live on an object. A view is not considered an object, so what I believe you're asking for, won't work. However, the responses others have provided are all great solutions. I see 2 viable options: 1- create a custom form field that is attached to all tasks with the field you're looking for, or 2- Use issues on the tasks as part of your change order workflow. Good luck! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
I know I'm late to this conversation, but we go with an even simpler solution. I've trained our PM's to just change the Planned Hours to the new total (including what's already been spent). In this example, change the Planned Hours to 52. And if the task planned completion will be extended due to this, be sure to change the Duration (not the Planned Completion Date). This way you retain your Start Date and the planned hours are still spread across the proper dates (or at least close). The downside is losing the original estimate but if you really want that you can use the Baseline to obtain that. Honestly, we've never gone back to check the original estimates at a task level. Heck we barely do it at a project level yet �� . Perhaps that all speaks to our Project Management Maturity level but that's how we do it and it's good enough for our purposes at this time. Hope you find what works for you.