Expand my Community achievements bar.

Ad Hoc/Escalation Approvals

Level 3
I'm working with our Facilities team to refine an existing request queue they use for move requests. They have requested the ability to ad hoc in an approver if there needs to be an escalation of a request. However, that doesn't seem to be possible (idea exchange here I come!). I'm looking for any input on how you have created an escalation path for requests. My first thought, after there wasn't an ad hoc option, was to create another path in the approval that is triggered by a new escalation status. Thanks! Alison Angilletta PMP Enterprise Portfolio Manager RWJBarnabas Health
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Alison. I like your idea of invoking an alternate ad-hoc path upon a new escalation status. It leverages the same process (Approvals), is transparent (v.s. "acting on behalf of"), and could be adapted to include different ad-hoc paths as need be over time. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 4
The idea of an ad-hoc approval/escalation path on a request seems to be predictive to the unpredictable, which with limited people in the system will become your formal predictive formal approvals. WOW…that sounded scary. The approval structures rely on a set number of people being assigned in specific predictive paths for escalation. As one would use ad-hoc approvals against a specific number of users, one would surely see a pattern of normalized structured approvals emerge. To provide adhockery as requested would support a "wing-it" work pattern instead of just setting a standard in the approvals for the escalations. My suggestion is to do a "day in the life" of an escalation for the 80 percent of the time approvals and escalations. Set the structure there for most of the time happenings. This will get rid of most of the escalation efforts. My suggestion also includes adding a custom field to the request to show the escalation level (current) with lowest level escalation defaulted. From there, use reporting to drive a set of escalation reports to be delivered to all the patterned escalation receivers. Just my two cents..

Level 3
Looks like escalation status is the way to go. I see what you are saying, Jim, about the potential for chaos with a pure ad hoc model. The escalation status at least limits who can be escalated to. Plus it will only invoke that path when needed. These requests are unlikely to show a specific pattern for need of escalation as the escalation is usually political in nature. On to the prototype! Alison Angilletta PMP Enterprise Portfolio Manager RWJBarnabas Health