Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

300 projects w/6500 tasks - need to assign groups of 500 tasks to the same people - fastest way?

Level 9
300 projects w/6500 tasks - need to assign groups of 500 tasks to the same people - fastest way?
6 Replies

Level 10
Hi Jennifer. Consider filtering and/or grouping by Task Name, then bulk updating the assignment(s). Regards, Doug

Level 9
Hi Doug - The challenge is the 504 tasks are across the 334 projects - the filters and groups for bulk editing seem to only be within a project. For example - I have Project A, B, and C. In project A I have 1 task for Accounts Payable, in Project B, I have 2, in Project C I have 1. In Project A it's for Corporate Accounts Payable, In Project B one is for Media Accounts Payable and 1 is for Corporate Accounts Payable, and in C it's for International Accounts Payable. The Accounts Payable Project Team has 5 people - one for Media, one for Corporate, one for International, 1 for Studio, and 1 for Parks.

Level 10
Hi Jennifer, There's two main options I can suggest. Both would require you to first set Roles on the tasks. It sounds like you need to differentiate your roles based on whether they are Corporate/International/Media etc. Once you've got the correct roles set on the tasks, you can do either of the following: Build a Task report with a filter which finds tasks where 'Task Assigned to ID' is blank, Task Status is not complete, and whatever other criteria you may have. Then you can bulk edit the tasks to do the assignment in the relevant section. I believe the limit is 2000 tasks when assigning this way. Use the new 'Assign User' function in the People -> Scheduling -> Swap tool. Note that in order for tasks to show up here, you will first need to be assigned as the Resource Manager on all the projects. In the earlier days of this tool, there was a limit of around 100 tasks you could assign at once, but I think the limit is higher now.... Regards, David

Level 9
Thank you! That helps me understand! I'm still a little green and am still learning the language. I get it! That was very helpful and made it so much easier to make a bunch of changes that I needed to make as well.

Level 10
Thanks for picking up the thread, David (I'm at an offsite in Banff) -- couldn't have said it better myself! Regards, Doug

Level 10
Does an offsite include skiing, Doug? I've been to Banff once before....it must be tough work. Terrible scenery too.... :)