Expand my Community achievements bar.

2019.1 Release - Resource Planner - Default Filter Concern

Level 4
Hi All, In Beta, Workfront has released a new feature for the resource planner that will cause automatic filtering for projects in the planner. The logic of this filtering is: 1. Planned Start Date between Grid Dates OR Planned End Date between Grid Dates 2. Status equates with CURRENT OR PLANNING 3. Project Group ID = User.Home Group ID I personally like what they've done with 1 and 2, especially because the default filter can be edited and a new filter saved off of it. However, #3 concerns me. We do not typically make use of Project Group functionality unless there are custom statuses/ access criteria for a particular project. This means may projects will be needlessly filtered out in our instance. Does anyone else share this concern? I think it would be nice for Sys Admins to be able to set their own Default filter for their system. James Bender Jackson/JTS
6 Replies

Level 2
Hi James, thank you for sharing this within the community. I completely agree with you that the third filter will filter out a lot of relevant project data and that system administrators should have the ability to set the default filter within the resource planner. Andrew Koprowski - LeapPoint LeapPoint

Level 10
I agree also - the default filter should be configurable. We wouldn't want to use the project group as part of the filter at all. David Cornwell

Level 4
I opened an incident with support, and they suggested I open an Idea about the project group filter/ allowing us to configure the default filter. I'm afraid this may go into the next release if more people don't voice concern about it. James Bender Jackson/JTS

Level 1
Thanks for posting James, We don't really use the Resource Planner yet but are evaluating it. At first I liked the sound of the group filter by default because the drag to bring up everyone in the entire instance by default is annoying but I can see your concern. Perhaps there needs to be a set up wizard that you can set your defaults prior to it trying to auto query? A first run type of thing? Regards, Ewan Ewan Hruska Nordstrom

Level 10
Thank you all for your feedback! We are updating the default filter criteria so that it will no longer have the Group filter part. We also have plans to allow system administrators to configure the default filter but that would be a part of the improved layout template experience that is currently in development but no ETA is available yet. Thanks again, and please feel free to reach out in case there are any questions. Vazgen Babayan Product Manager Workfront

Level 10
Thanks Vazgen. Allowing the default filter to be configurable via the layout template sounds like the perfect solution. That will be super handy because, believe it or not, many users will just need a default filter and they may find it too hard/annoying to have to keep changing to a saved filter. David Cornwell