Just noticed in my debugger that the timestamp is 1 month behind, so
it's showing as 8th June 2014 and not 8th July.Anyone else noticed
this?We've tested different sites, browsers, machines and debuggers and
my PC has the correct time setting. A colleague found the same issue in
his debugger too.
The Adobe Admin UI is a real mess which means that many clients are
wasting tens of admin hours a month doing what should be simple, quick
and easy tasks.Aspects of the UI and back-end are perhaps >10 years' old
and not for for purpose. Some actually weren't fit on day 1, and that
was acceptable a d...
The last time I needed to update the Marketing Channel Processing Rules
for multiple RSs the template feature worked fine; this was several
weeks ago.Today it is broken.I can select all RSs, select my template,
but when I save the change to the 220 selected RSs, the product changes
to state that the...
Date masks have always been very poor. I once heard that you could have
a more UK friendly date mask provided that your language setting was not
English (but this may not be true)! As well as a new option(s) it in
SiteCat, there needs to be an option to change everywhere and in all
products. A great...
Hi JD - no I didn't submit a bug through clientcare as they said it was
a known feature / quirk and isn't being treated as a bug. My opinion is
that it's a serious bug becuase the reported data is incorrect.
I have a "key metrics" report open in SC15 and the totals line is
incorrect for my calculated metrics. This has been explained by
clientcare as a "a quirk of the calc metric" but from my point of view
it's a massive error where my data is over reporting by >1200%.
Currently, from what I am aware the...
I’m sure I’ll be doing much more mobile analytics this year. Straight
away there is a big gap in Omniture’s reporting. Here are my ideas: 1) I
need to see mobile devices by browser and browser type. This is critical
in case I have lots of traffic from a particular device and browser yet
a poor conve...