@brettf35967596 did you resolve this issue? I'm currently seeing the
same thing - I have one integration that was set up a while ago which is
working fine, but the ones I've added over the past few days are all
coming through as unspecified.
I also support this idea. At the moment I am trying to setup an
integration with our 55 standard accounts and it is extremely difficult
as you can only create 3 google account on one phone number (for
verification). Please fix this!
Hi, We're having some trouble getting our classifications working as
expected, in particular the sub-classifications. For reference, below is
the current configuration, the rules within classification builder and
some example values. The sub-classification we're having trouble with is
In Stock Y/N (cl_v47), which is populating with a lot of Unspecified
values. As you can see from the classification rules, it corresponds
with rules 6-8 and I've tried the Rule Type below and its regex