Expand my Community achievements bar.

Scoring System

Level 2

Hi,

I have implemented DTM on our demo site and enables Experience cloud ID service as well.

We have main category and sub-category on the website.

e.g: Main category --> MEN Under MEN there are subcategories --> Activewear, Fine apparel, Accessories etc.

I would like to create an interest score for each visitor.

If they click 2 subcategories under men then their score is 2.

I have created 2 evars

1 for Storing main category and 1 for storing sub category.

I am not sure, how to add a count or score .

Maybe using an event, not sure.

Please help

Br

Vedant

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi Vedant,

Are you wanting to calculate a score on the front end or within Analytics? Doing so on the front end (within the browser) would require some custom javascript. DTM does not have anything built in to incremenet a variable each time something is clicked. This could be done with some custom javascript however.

I also believe this could be done on the backend within Analytics reporting using something like an event or calculated metric. Gigazelle​ is our Analytics community manager and might be able to provide some more details or a recommendation of how others are doing this within Analytics.

Cheers,

Jantzen

Level 2

Hi Jantzen , Thanks for your input I need the score within analytics I need a report like below , which i can export from data warehouse

VisitorMain CategoryScore
100A10
200A5
300B20

I guess , for that i need to use an event and prop in a custom JS Not sure, how to use it

Br Vedant

Level 9

So you want a report that shows number of clicks for a given link, on a user level granularity?

Level 2

Hi Josh

I want number of clicks on Sub category group by user and main category .

Br

Vedant

Level 9

Okay so firstly, you should use an eVar to capture a unique id for the user. If your site already has a unique id for a given user, you can use that.  Alternatively, if you have marketing cloud id service implemented, or have a 1st party cookie implementation, you can grab the Adobe Analytics visitor id and push it to an eVar.

Having said that, I recommend NOT doing this. Web analytics tools aren't generally focused on keeping track of visitors on an individual visitor level.  Instead, data is aggregated, and most reliable when looking at trended aggregated data over time.  There is a unique value limit that Adobe accepts for a given variable for a given time period, and unique values beyond that start getting thrown into a single bucket (e.g. "low traffic").  Not to mention, what kind of business decisions would you realistically make from looking at data on an individual visitor level? It's like if Toys R Us decided to make business decisions based off one random person showing up to one random store and buying one random thing.  Hey maybe that's why they are shutting down..  in any case, unless your website is super exclusive and you only have a handful of regular users (e.g. a small forum or internal company site) you want to keep tabs on, there really isn't value in tracking on an individual visitor level granularity even if it were technically possible.

IOW, instead of caring about "How many times this one user clicked on categoryX link" you should be caring about "How many times categoryX was clicked total".  But it's your shindig; take my 2 cents for what it's worth!

Beyond that, the rest seems pretty straight forward. If you only have a handful of categories and subcategories and your site doesn't evolve over time that they change often, you can probably get away with having a single eVar with a delimited value, e.g.

s.eVar1="[category]|[subcategory]";

And then you can create classifications and a classification rule set (in classification rule builder) to break them apart into separate reports.

But if you have a lot of categories and/or subcategories and they can change fairly often, then go ahead and use separate eVars for them:

s.eVar1="[category]";

s.eVar2="[subcategory]";

Technically, this is all you need, based on what you've posted.  You can use Instances metric to get a count of the eVar values.  But you have a ton of events at your disposal, and it makes reporting a lot more flexible to use one, so I recommend also popping an event on clicks, e.g.:

s.events="event1";

And, all of these are readily available to build a data warehouse export like you posted earlier.

Level 2

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply.

I have done the following setup already

1. s.eVar1="[category]"
  2. s.eVar2="[subcategory]"
  3. s.eVar3 = "[MCVID]"

Not sure , where to set the event

1. s.events="event1"

With keeping separate evars for category and sub category , i am not able to count the clicks.

is it even possible to have a report like below, which can be exported from the data warehouse?

USER  CATEGORY SCORE

X           A                       10

X           B                       20

Br

Vedant