I have the following problem. In a property of a client, we want to add the domain somedomain.com to the list of domains. The domain is not in the list of domains currently.
But if I want to add it, it always says „somedomain.com has already been taken“.
Is this a bug? Do we do something wrong? The site is supposed to go live on Monday, so we would appreciate help on this urgently.
Thanks a lot!
Were you able to get this problem fixed?
If yes, could you please share the solution?
If not, let us know.
I don't remember honestly. But probably I just didn't want to use up too much time using the client care system.
No. But I also didn't check whether the problem persists. Whenever I need this feature the next time, I will check. However, we don't set up properties often, so it is not something that will be verified soon. I suggest Adobe support tries and verifies this here if it has been solved.
Thank you for your feedback.
Once again, apologies for the inconvenience. I'll try to get this verified by support.
As this sounds like a potential bug, I would reach out to Adobe ClientCare via phone or live chat. They'll be able to get the details of which site you're trying to work with, and help you find a workable solution.