Expand my Community achievements bar.

DTM: cookie lifetime for s_fid is 5 years (instead of 2y)

Level 3

Hi,

just noticed that the cookie lifetime for s_fid (fall-back visitor id) is 5 years. In documentation its 2 years, which is privacy standard for EU/Germany (24 month):

s_fid=3ED0DFXXXX; expires=Mon, 19 Nov 2018 16:04:18 GMT; path=/; domain=.xxx.xx

• Setting the cookie lifetime in DTM Adobe Analytics seems only to influence the s_vi.
  • Legacy javascript implementation (s_code.js) sets lifetime of s_fid correctly to 2 years, so it seems a bug of DTM?

Any alternatives/ideas to change the cookie lifetime of s_fid in DTM?

Michael

6 Replies

Level 3

Michael,

DTM's "cookie lifetime" setting affects the s.cookieLifeTime variable that would otherwise be set in the s_code/AppMeasurement file.  If it is set to "default" in the tool configuration, then we don't pass a value and rely on whatever the s_code/AppMeasurement defaults to (which I believe is actually 5 years, or at least it used to be).  If it's set to something other than default, we pass that value to the s.cookieLifeTime variable.  We don't directly control the cookies or their expirations; the logic built into the s_code/AppMeasurement library does that.  We simply use the facility that the library has provided to control the expiration.

Best,
Shawn

Level 2

Hi Michael,

I think that it's unclear is over what exactly cookies affect when value of s.cookieLifeTime is filled, so can you or any colleague can please facilitate a cookie's list affected by s.cookieLifeTime value?  :D

I mean, we can see on documentation:

If cookieLifetime is set, it overrides any other cookie expirations for both JavaScript and data collection servers, with one exception, described below. The cookieLifetime variable can have one of three values:

1.Analytics Cookies
2.Cookies
3.JavaScript Settings and Plugins

So,

1.If we see Analytics cookie on documentation:

Cookie Name: AMCV_###@AdobeOrg
Cookie Name: s_cc
Cookie Name: s_cc
Cookie Name: s_sq
Cookie Name: s_vi
Cookie Name: s_fid
Cookies Set By Plug-ins

That means that s.cookieLifeTime's value affects whole those cookies? Even AMCV_?

2.Cookies, what exactly is cookies? all cookies?  Analytics cookies again?

3. What is JavaScript Seeting? Maybe Plugins is the most clear part.

So, in fact, I'll really to appreciate if some Adobe guys can provide us a list of cookies what are affected by s.cookieLifeTime.

Many thanks in advance,

Julià.

Level 4

**All the views given here are my personal and has no relation and doesn't reflect views of my employer.

Hi Micheal,

The fix for the issue would be rather an easy one my friend wink

Solution:

1. Once you add "Adobe Analytics" tool to your web property, go to Settings of the tool.

2.  Expand the section with the name "GENERAL" and look for the check-box with the Description"Enable EU compliance for Adobe Analytics"

3. Enable this option by clicking on the check-box and Save the changes and we are done ...!!!

o like the post should you find useful by clicking on the "Heart Icon" and move this to "Solved" status for the benefit of other users of the forum.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Harsh Kabra |  Adobe Certified Expert: Digital Analytics® & SiteCatalyst Implementation & Reporting®

Level 4

**All the views given here are my personal and has no relation and doesn't reflect views of my employer.

Hi Micheal,

Solution:

1. Once you add "Adobe Analytics" tool to your web property, go to Settings of the tool.

2.  Expand the section with the name "GENERAL" and look for the check-box with the Description"Enable EU compliance for Adobe Analytics"

3. Enable this option by clicking on the check-box and Save the changes and we are done ...!!!

o like the post should you find useful by clicking on the "Heart Icon" and move this to "Solved" status for the benefit of other users of the forum.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Harsh Kabra |  Adobe Certified Expert: Digital Analytics® & SiteCatalyst Implementation & Reporting®

Level 4

Hi Micheal,

Solution:

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Level 4

Hi Micheal,

Solution:

Hope this helps!

Regards,