Expand my Community achievements bar.

DTM Cant overwrite Existing (non-dtm implementation) Pagename w/ DTM Page Load Rule

Level 2

Have an existing non-DTM Omniture implementation.  Using DTM I want to overwrite the s.pagename when a URL Parameter Name 'name' exists.

Currently (existing Omniture implementation), when this page loads, the s.pagename is set to "Search"

However, I want to use DTM to set s.pagename = "search results"

SO---I created a pageload rule:

1. Condition: URL Parameter Name 'name', URL Parmameter Value (regex) ".+"

2. Adobe Analytics: Set Page Name to "search results"  

***using the debugger, I see in the console that the rule fires*** 

NOTE: When I uncheck "Adobe Analytics page code is already present", the s.pagename is recorded correctly according to the page load rule ("search results"). However, when it's checked, the s.pagename is still "Search". My DTM Rule is overwritten.

Im new to DTM, however, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Here is a sample URL:

http://directory.designnews.com/live/list.jsp?name=+linemaster+switch&SugName=+linemaster+switch&Com...

Thank you in advance.smiley

4 Replies

Employee

The issue is how the "Adobe Analytics Page Code is already present" works.  When selected DTM will not activate any of the page load rules, as you discovered.  The assumption is that you already have page code on the site and that is handling the analytics.  This option does NOT run any sort of detection to see if it can find your code first and then execute if it is not already there.

Level 2

Rudi Shumpert wrote...

The issue is how the "Adobe Analytics Page Code is already present" works.  When selected DTM will not activate any of the page load rules, as you discovered.  The assumption is that you already have page code on the site and that is handling the analytics.  This option does NOT run any sort of detection to see if it can find your code first and then execute if it is not already there.

Got it.

As mentioned earlier, I have a search results page currently non-dtm Omniture tagged. I want to capture the search results' search terms. Since I cannot capture them with a page load rule, is there another way? Event-based rules don't seem to apply as the user hasn't interacted with the page. . Any advice?

Employee

You could build an event based rule to capture the search term at the click on the submit for search instead of the results page.

Level 4

Hello Sloan,

I just checked your website.

You can do this to capture search terms. 

Go to overview > Click on settings icon of the tool which you have deployed for this> Customize page code > Open Editor

Now for example you want to capture your search terms in prop9, then type this code-

s.prop9=s.Util.getQueryParam('name');

This should solve your objective.

@Rudi, correct me if I am wrong.

Sanmeet