Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

saving an object or array in a data element in Adobe Dynamic Tag Manager

Level 1

I tried to save a javascript array or javascript object in a data element in DTM, but it does not work. It just translates it to an encoded string.

Is there a way to make this work?

If not, how am I supposed to populate data of a dynamic size, for example an array of each item in the cart, with individual attributes (name, price, quantity), for each one?

I have a PIWIK script that is expecting this on the confirmation page.

I can collect and save this data to a js object on my page, but I am not able to successfully use this data in DTM.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Ok, I thought you were creating the object in the Data Element.

If you have an array like var items = ['foo', 'bar', {key: 'value'}] either in a data element or in the DOM (in the page), or in a custom script section in DTM, you could reference elements of the array in a few ways:   

items[2].key // returns 'value' from the above array _satellite.data.customVars.object_test[2].key  // returns 'value' from a data element called object_test that contains the array _satellite.data.customVars.object_test[0]  // returns 'foo' %window._satellite.data.customVars.object_test[2].key%  // returns 'value' from the data element, in the user interface fields

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee

Are you returning the object as the last line of the script for the data element?

var myObject = { key = "value", foo = "bar" }; return myObject;

With custom script data elements or conditions, the return statement is required.

Level 1

that does not work.

i tried this as my data element custom script:

return window.piwikVars.items;

then in my script tag i am adding:

var myArray = %piwikItems%;

but it is not seeing as an array: it is giving an error like this:

[img]Screenshot 2014-10-09 16.42.45.png[/img]

i can see the populated array in my DOM inspector so I know that the variable exists and is populated correctly.

Correct answer by
Employee

Ok, I thought you were creating the object in the Data Element.

If you have an array like var items = ['foo', 'bar', {key: 'value'}] either in a data element or in the DOM (in the page), or in a custom script section in DTM, you could reference elements of the array in a few ways:   

items[2].key // returns 'value' from the above array _satellite.data.customVars.object_test[2].key  // returns 'value' from a data element called object_test that contains the array _satellite.data.customVars.object_test[0]  // returns 'foo' %window._satellite.data.customVars.object_test[2].key%  // returns 'value' from the data element, in the user interface fields