Expand my Community achievements bar.

Building custom tools

Level 1

Hi

Can someone give me a high-level overview on what the process is for building a new tool in adobe Illustrator? If it's even possible.

As an example:

I want a new tool that looks similar to the direct selection tool icon sitting over in the tool pallet. I'm calling this tool the "Zero distance tool". When I select this tool and click an anchor point from two different object it'll move the objects such that those anchor points are exactly on one another. I don't need programming help unless it's relevant. I'm experienced programming in C++ and JavaScript. I do not understand the workflow for building a tool like this.

Thank you.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 1

I'm talking about Adobe Illustrator btw. Edited and corrected question to say Illustrator. 

Employee

Hello there,

App Builder is for building extensibility solutions for Experience Cloud and does not at this time support Creative Cloud products. 

To build a plugin for Illustrator, you would need to use CEP. You can find more details here: https://github.com/Adobe-CEP/CEP-Resources

Thanks,
Ron