Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

A/B Test: How can traffic enter both experiences?

Level 2

Hello all,

I have an A/B activity where I'm seeing traffic enter both experiences. What initially brought my attention to this was interaction with the chat widget (~10%) in the control variant -- Live Chat Button Opened. See Venn diagram and data below. This is unexpected because the widget is being suppressed in the control. In fact, there is no code that would deliver the widget here.

Is this type of traffic crossover common? Is it possible a visitor entered experience B clicked a button, then later enter experience A, but the initial engagement was captured in the subsequent visit?

bkmills_0-1644422414986.png

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Brion

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @Ryan_Roberts_ - There are multiple Pages with unique URLs where this test is delivered, but no redirect has been added to those pages.

I spoke with customer care yesterday and they shared the following, which seems to explain a possible cause. In our case I think it's either point 1 or point 3.

Why is the same visitor sometimes counted in multiple experiences in Analytics?
The following list explains reasons why the same visitor could be counted in multiple experiences in Analytics:

• The Target profile expired but the Analytics cookie is still there. In this situation, Target reevaluates the user but Analytics considers the visitor to be the same person.
  • If the visitor is using the mbox3rdPartyId, when the anonymous visitor is merged with the 3rd-party ID profile, Target could put the visitor into a different experience to match up with the 3rd-party ID. For more information, see Real-Time Profile Syncing for mbox3rdPartyID.
  • Analytics might be tracking different devices as the same visitor in a different way than Target tracks those devices: the 3rd-party ID setup in Target is different than in Analytics.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/integrate/a4t/a4t-faq/a4t-faq-viewing-reports.h...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi @bkmills,

Is this test executed with a redirect? Depending on the setup, redirect offer test can sometimes have cross-over traffic showing up in the reports with A4T reporting.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @Ryan_Roberts_ - There are multiple Pages with unique URLs where this test is delivered, but no redirect has been added to those pages.

I spoke with customer care yesterday and they shared the following, which seems to explain a possible cause. In our case I think it's either point 1 or point 3.

Why is the same visitor sometimes counted in multiple experiences in Analytics?
The following list explains reasons why the same visitor could be counted in multiple experiences in Analytics:

• The Target profile expired but the Analytics cookie is still there. In this situation, Target reevaluates the user but Analytics considers the visitor to be the same person.
  • If the visitor is using the mbox3rdPartyId, when the anonymous visitor is merged with the 3rd-party ID profile, Target could put the visitor into a different experience to match up with the 3rd-party ID. For more information, see Real-Time Profile Syncing for mbox3rdPartyID.
  • Analytics might be tracking different devices as the same visitor in a different way than Target tracks those devices: the 3rd-party ID setup in Target is different than in Analytics.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/integrate/a4t/a4t-faq/a4t-faq-viewing-reports.h...