Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

☕[AT Community Q&A Coffee Break] 11/11/20, 8am PT: David Son, Senior Product Manager for Adobe Target☕

Administrator

Join us for our next monthly Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break

taking place Wednesday, November 11th @ 8am PT

REGISTER NOW

We'll be joined by David Son, aka @DavidSonPM, Senior Product Manager for Adobe Target, who will be signed in here to the Adobe Target Community to chat directly with you on this thread about your Adobe Target questions pertaining to his areas of expertise:

• On-device decisioning
  • At.js
  • Mobile
  • Alloy
  • APIs 

Want us to send you a calendar invitation so you don’t forget?  Register now to mark your calendar and receive Reminders! 

️Be sure not to miss the webinar from the day before, on Tuesday, 11/10/20 @ 10am PT, where @Jason_Hickey and @DavidSonPM will deliver a live webinar on how to Personalize and test at zero latency with on-device decisions from Adobe Target - bring all your burning post-webinar Q's to the chat thread below!

A NOTE FROM OUR NEXT, 11/11/20 COMMUNITY Q&A COFFEE BREAK EXPERT, DAVID SON 

REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE 

• Must be signed in to the Community during the 1-hour period 
  • Must post a Question about Adobe Target
  • THAT'S IT!  *(think of this as the Adobe Target Community equivalent of an AMA, (“Ask Me Anything”), and bring your best speed-typing game) 

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom right corner of this post
  • Begin your Question with @DavidSonPM
  • When exchanging messages with David about your specific question, be sure to use the editor’s "QUOTE" button, which will indicate which post you're replying to, and will help contain your conversation with David

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 4.46.08 PM.png

David Son is a Senior Product Manager for Adobe Target where leads product strategy for mobile, APIs, and SDKs. He holds a B.A in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley and is based in San Francisco.

Curious about what an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break looks like? Check out the threads from our first Series of Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Breaks and from our last Break from 10/14/20 with Jon Tehero, Group Product Manager for Adobe Target

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

46 Replies

Level 3

Hi David, is it possible to use the Adobe Target API to retrieve the URLs beings targeted on in the activity?

I'm looking at the documentation here https://developers.adobetarget.com/api/#get-ab-activity-by-id and it doesn't seem to include the URL.

Level 4

@jonathanl557422 wrote:

Hi David, is it possible to use the Adobe Target API to retrieve the URLs beings targeted on in the activity?

I'm looking at the documentation here https://developers.adobetarget.com/api/#get-ab-activity-by-id and it doesn't seem to include the URL.

We currently don't have this functionality supported at the moment, but seems useful. Care to expand on the use case and need for it?

Level 3

Our use case is mainly around Target governance and determining where Target is used. Right now, we're doing this by entering the details about an activity into a spreadsheet. If a publisher wants to make an edit to a page, a publisher would first have to check the spreadsheet to see if any of the pages could potentially be affected. The adding to spreadsheet method is very manual and prone to human errors. 

Level 4

Hello, good morning, and good evening. I am online and ready to mingle! Please do send questions my way as I will be fielding them. Excited to have great convos today.

Level 1

@DavidSonPM wrote:

Hello, good morning, and good evening. I am online and ready to mingle! Please do send questions my way as I will be fielding them. Excited to have great convos today.

@DavidSonPM 
Good morning David.  I am the manager for our Optimization Program and while I do have technical skills and knowledge, I am not a trained Developer.  I work directly with our FEDs frequently and less frequently with our Server-side developers. 

We are currently delivering Target client-side via Launch and want to continue to utilize this for VEC built campaigns.  We would like to begin to utilize the new on-device decisioning for other specific Target Activities as we have many use cases that would benefit from this.  If we use a Hybrid implementation for Target, will this allow us to still utilize the Target via Launch implementation?  Will this allow us to choose on an Activity-level basis which implementation to use (Client-side via Launch vs. Server-side with On-Device Decisioning)?  

Level 4

@A_Archer wrote:

@DavidSonPM wrote:

@DavidSonPM 
Good morning David.  I am the manager for our Optimization Program and while I do have technical skills and knowledge, I am not a trained Developer.  I work directly with our FEDs frequently and less frequently with our Server-side developers. 

We are currently delivering Target client-side via Launch and want to continue to utilize this for VEC built campaigns.  We would like to begin to utilize the new on-device decisioning for other specific Target Activities as we have many use cases that would benefit from this.  If we use a Hybrid implementation for Target, will this allow us to still utilize the Target via Launch implementation?  Will this allow us to choose on an Activity-level basis which implementation to use (Client-side via Launch vs. Server-side with On-Device Decisioning)?  

Hi, yes you can pursue a hybrid implementation where you use either our Node.js or Java SDK on the server-side while having Target via Launch for client-side. When you set this up in the Target UI, all VEC activities will be delivered normally on the Web via the Launch tag. Form-based composer activities will be marked as on-device decisioning if they qualify (https://adobetarget-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/on-device-decisioning/supported-features). These form-based composer activities will be delivered via the Target server-side SDKs, and so you can use the response to deliver your experience in the HTML before it reaches the browser.

Level 1

Thanks, that is great news.  Will we have the ability to choose to deliver some form-based activities via client-side?  Can we do this by choosing the mbox name instead of On-device Decisioning?

Level 4

@A_Archer wrote:

Thanks, that is great news.  Will we have the ability to choose to deliver some form-based activities via client-side?  Can we do this by choosing the mbox name instead of On-device Decisioning?

At the moment, we do not support on-device decisioning via the Web SDK (at.js or Launch). So any form-based composer activities you are delivering via the Web will always be a server-side call.

Just to be clear, when retrieving form-based composer activities that qualify for on-device decisioning via our Node.js or Java SDKs will be delivered via on-device decisioning if you have the decisioningMethod as on-device or hybrid - https://adobetarget-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/sdk-reference-guides/nodejs-sdk/initialize-sdk

Level 2

Good Morning @DavidSonPM,

Setup: Our company is using a CRM id set in all the mbox Calls as Mbox 3rd Party and using a unique product id as entity.id.

Sequence of events

1. User is logged-in to our website (widgets.com) on both desktop and mobile phone.
  2. User clicks on a couple of products on the website (widgets.com) on desktop computer (session 1).
  3. After couple of seconds, user jumps to his mobile phone and accesses the website (widgets.com) on his mobile browser (session 2)
    1. We are observing the user is not seeing the products he viewed (playback recent accessed entity by recommendation) in mobile web session.
  4. User then views a few other products using his mobile browser.
  5. After few hour of inactivity, user visits website on desktop and is seeing only mobile web activity data. Desktop web activity appears to be lost.
    1. We are observing that profile data will be replaced by latest activity if 2 sessions are active at the same time.

Our Questions

1. Is there any time delay sync data between sessions? If yes what is the expected time delay window?
  2. What will/should happen when user jumps from website to mobile application?
  3. Our expectation when user jumps from one device to another device, his/her target web access profile data should be carried immediately. Do you have any solution to do so?
  4. Does sequence of sessions matter? For example if I start on desktop and move to mobile, will that overwrite desktop and vice versa?

Level 4

@selvasj wrote:

Good Morning @DavidSonPM,

Setup: Our company is using a CRM id set in all the mbox Calls as Mbox 3rd Party and using a unique product id as entity.id.

Sequence of events

1. User is logged-in to our website (widgets.com) on both desktop and mobile phone.
  2. User clicks on a couple of products on the website (widgets.com) on desktop computer (session 1).
  3. After couple of seconds, user jumps to his mobile phone and accesses the website (widgets.com) on his mobile browser (session 2)
    1. We are observing the user is not seeing the products he viewed (playback recent accessed entity by recommendation) in mobile web session.
  4. User then views a few other products using his mobile browser.
  5. After few hour of inactivity, user visits website on desktop and is seeing only mobile web activity data. Desktop web activity appears to be lost.
    1. We are observing that profile data will be replaced by latest activity if 2 sessions are active at the same time.

Our Questions

1. Is there any time delay sync data between sessions? If yes what is the expected time delay window?
  2. What will/should happen when user jumps from website to mobile application?
  3. Our expectation when user jumps from one device to another device, his/her target web access profile data should be carried immediately. Do you have any solution to do so?
  4. Does sequence of sessions matter? For example if I start on desktop and move to mobile, will that overwrite desktop and vice versa?

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer from the top of my head given that this would be something the engineering team would be able to dig up. But reading through your use cases, I suspect that the user profile data from the web session is not flushed and persisted in our system in time to be access via the live mobile session. Profiles are flushed when the session ends. Although it sounds a bit peculiar that after hours of inactivity the user profile data from the web is not available. I would highly encourage you to file a customer care ticket!

Level 6

Hi David, are there any plans to update the API? Especially around creating activities and being limited to only authoring them via API is that how it was created?

Level 4

@josejr19 wrote:

Hi David, are there any plans to update the API? Especially around creating activities and being limited to only authoring them via API is that how it was created?

Hi, thank you for your question. We do have an API to create activities here - https://developers.adobetarget.com/api/#create-ab-activity

Are there other functionalities that you would like part of the API?

Level 6

I would like the ability to edit an activity in the Target UI  that I crated via the API. An example would be creating an activity based on an intake form in sharepoint or somewhere else, then having the Target resource edit that activity created via the API in the Target UI.

Level 6

@DavidSonPM bumping up in case you didnt  see this  one come in without the @ reference. Thanks!

Level 4

@josejr19 wrote:

I would like the ability to edit an activity in the Target UI  that I crated via the API. An example would be creating an activity based on an intake form in sharepoint or somewhere else, then having the Target resource edit that activity created via the API in the Target UI.

Thank you for clarifying. Yes we are aware of this limitation and would like to address this in the future.

Level 6

Level 2

@DavidSonPM  will the new on Device - Decisions implementation impact the Auto personalization?

Level 4

@Dsantoro wrote:

@DavidSonPM  will the new on Device - Decisions implementation impact the Auto personalization?

Hi, on-device decisioning won't be supporting auto-personalization in our recent release of our Node.js and Java SDKs. I hope I understand what you mean by impact, but if you mean that Auto Personalization cannot be run when using on-device decisioning, you won't have to worry. You can always choose to retrieve AP activities via  server-side decisionMethod call to retrieve them instead of on-device decisioning. Read more here under decisioningMethod - https://adobetarget-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/sdk-reference-guides/nodejs-sdk/initialize-sdk

Level 6

@DavidSonPM are you aware of any plans to update the Target UI to provide a better UX on organizing activities?

Level 4

@josejr19 wrote:

@DavidSonPM are you aware of any plans to update the Target UI to provide a better UX on organizing activities?

Hi, yes we are in the middle of revamping our UX that will help our customers organize activities better. For the first phase we have already launched improvements in our Administration tab. Over the course of the next year, you will start to see more improvements across the board.