Expand my Community achievements bar.

Are audiences dynamic?

Level 5

Hi everyone,

We want to create a simple audience rule based on the presence of a cookie.

We deploy Target through DTM and have added the cookie as a global mbox parameter. Checking in Omnibug shows that it successfully logs a true|false value based on the presence of the cookie.

However, is Target smart enough to alter our audience and remove people from it if they go from having the cookie (true) to not having the cookie (false)?

The use case is as follows. Customers have the cookie right up until they purchase, so we're creating an audience that will allow us to create Target Experiences and messaging that will encourage them to checkout. Once they checkout, we remove the cookie and therefore would like to remove them from the audience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Philip,

The mbox parameter is not persistent unless it's prefixed with "profile.". The audience with the mbox parameter will evaluate the true|false value on every mbox call. Did you face any challenges/ issues that the targeting is not working as expected?

Employee Advisor

@phillipk92120636,

For most activity types visitors will remain in the experience for which they are cookied into. Unless they clear their cookies manually they will stay in whatever experience they got into. With the exception of XT (Experience Targeting) activities where they are re-evaluated every time they match the targeting conditions. Target activity types

If this satisfies your query please like, mark as helpful and mark as answer. Otherwise lets keep the conversation going. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Mihnea Docea | Technical Support Consultant | Customer Experience | Adobe | (:: 1 (800) 497-0335

Level 3

Hey @phillipk92120636,

What you are looking to do is actually pretty simple (if I understand it correctly), I recently implemented something similar to only show an experience if the disclaimer had not been accepted (cookie based).

The steps to make this work are as follows:

1, Pass cookie value as parameter

Pass the value of the cookie into the mbox I did it manually (see below) but using DTM the way you explained does the same thing.

Added to at.js library header to pass cookie value:

var cookieValue = document.cookie.replace(/(?:(?:^|.*;\s*)checked\s*\=\s*([^;]*).*$)|^.*$/, "$1");

return {

"PageCheck": cookieValue,

};

2, Create a profile attribute from parameter

Turn the parameter into a profile attribute to ensure persistence across mbox calls, this is done in the Target UI as image below shows:

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 19.09.48.png

3, Check this is populating correctly using the debugger

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 19.07.26.png

4, Create your cookie based audience

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 19.09.10.png

5, Use the audience to deliver experience

Then finally, use this to target your experiences (use XT see below)

I believe this should work with some minor changes, you would obviously want to change the value of the cookie once the user has check-out to ensure they then stop seeing the experience.

Like @mikewebguy stated above, XT is the way to go here as you would want the experience to re-evaluate once the cookie value has been changed (on check-out).

If you really wanted to do this as an A/B test you could using the check-out page as the trigger to release users from the experience (example below), but probably better off using an XT.

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 19.06.39.png

Let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

Dan

Level 5

Hi Dan, Mike, and Andrey,

Many thanks for your responses. They've all been very helpful! I'm a real novice when it comes to Target stuff so I really appreciate the time you've taken to share your knowledge.

danieli22263765 Many thanks for the detailed instructions. I've gone through the steps and can see the value in the debugger changing as required when the cookie is present. I was wrong when I said the cookie took a true|false value. It only had a value once it existed, so I just made an additional data element in DTM that would send a value of false if it didn't exist (it was an empty string otherwise) and used this instead in the mbox parameters.

So, I'll let our marketing team know that for this test they should use XT and that should create the desired dynamic audience they're after.