Expand my Community achievements bar.

Zapf Dingbat font not recognize by LC Designer

Level 2

Hi

I recently upgraded from Windows XP using Designer 7.0 to Designer 8.2.  Previously I had no issue using the Zapf Dingbat font.  Once I upgraded Designer, the Zapf Dingbat font is not recognized in Designer.

Any ideas? I absolutely have to get this font to work.

The font is an Adobe Type 1 font named zd______.PFM

It is located in the Windows Font folder.

I also have the Zapf Chancery font from Adobe and there are no issues with LC Designer recognizing the font.

Any information on the issue or how to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

Thank you,

10 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

A quick search on the web indicates that you need two files: .pfb which is the actual font AND .pfm which is a metrics file associated with the font.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Level 2

Hi Nial:

So how would I get this file installed?

I have 3 files associated with this font:

zd

Level 2

Hi Nial:

I have tried this solution and it does not work in our environment.

Let me clarify a couple of things.

This font has existed on our systems for quite awhile. There was never an issue with LC Designer 7.0. The issue only arose when we updated to LC Designer 8.2

LC Designer does honor existing forms with this font. There is no font conversion etc. The only issue is we can not select the font in new fields or new forms.

When you type ZapfDingbats in the font list it will use it as well.

How do I get the font in the Designer font drop down list?

Thank you,

David Chamberlin

Level 10

Hi David,

My understanding is that the font dropdown is based on fonts that are available on the PC. I can't see how you would 'import' a font into Designer. I don't know what the change from LC Designer 7 to 8 would cause this problem. When you open the form in v8 is there a warning about unavailable fonts / font substitution?

It may be better to bite the bullet and move over to an Open Type version of the font.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

Hi Nial:

Unfortunately this is for a nation wide deployment of Acrobat and LC Designer 8.2. I do not have the option of changing the font. I absolutely have to use this font for the time being and it exists on all workstations.

It is my understanding that LC Designer should list all (valid) fonts in the Windows/font folder. I know my font is valid because I can use it and the resulting PDF shows the font embedded in the PDF.

There are no errors opening Designer and no errors or font substitutions when I open an existing xdp that has the ZapfDingbats font in use. When I select the text box from a previous form that uses the font, the font list box shows ZapfDingbats. I can not see it in the list in new forms, new fields, or fields that do not use ZapfDingbats.

That is why this issue is so perplexing!

David Chamberlin

Level 10

Hi David,

I don't have the font, so it is difficult to sy exactly what is going on. Maybe someone else may have an idea.

The only workaround I can suggest is having script in the docReady event of the fields that need to use the font.

https://acrobat.com/#d=Wu3l1zcxKsRrUki0h76P3w

Acrobat1.png

Good luck,

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Level 4

I'll give a laymen's answer first.  Simply stated, you are being impacted by font license terms and the algorithms that Adobe uses to respect

the rights expressed in the fonts or licensing

* Many fonts, such as the orignal base postscript fonts allow embedding only as a subset for file transfer and printing, but not for full embedding and editting.

* Use of a font in an edittable form field requires that the full font be embedded and allows use in editting.

* Therefore, these fonts are not usable in form fields.  They CAN be used in the form itself.

Zapf Dingbats is NOT an Adobe trademarked font; therefore, it cannot be embedded and edittable.

The detailed document can be found at http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/FontPolicies.pdf

around pages 13 and 14.  You may find this a bit difficult to understand, but, simply stated, Myriad and Minion, among others meet the requirements to allow use in edittable form fields.

There may be simpler answers out there, but it all nets to this.

Level 2

Hi Niall:

I think we have a misunderstanding, the issue is not a text field but a text box.

When I create a text box in Designer 8.2 and select the text, I can not change the font to Zapf Dingbats as it is not in the font list.

I can use the font if I manually type the font name into the font list box.

If the form already has a text box that uses that font, it is listed in the font list but only for the existing text box.

This does not have to do with a text field

Here is the font for your review. Please remove the xxx from the filename and unzip to access the original files. Rename the .infxxx to .inf

David Chamberlin

Level 2

Hi Chuck:

In response to your email:

You are being impacted by font license terms and the algorithms that Adobe uses to respect the rights expressed in the fonts or licensing.

How can that be? The font was listed in Designer 7 it just does not show in the Designer 8.2 font list. I can use it in Designer 8.2 if I enter the font name manually into the font list. The resulting PDF has the font listed in the document properties Font tab

• Many fonts, such as the original base postscript fonts allow embedding only as a subset for file transfer and printing, but not for full embedding and editing.

I am not using this font in a field but in a text box. If the text box previously existed in a LCD 7 form, the font is listed in LCD 8.2. If I create a new text box on the same form, the font is not listed in the font list.

• Use of a font in an editable form field requires that the full font be embedded and allows use in editing.

• Therefore, these fonts are not usable in form fields. They CAN be used in the form itself.

I am using the font in the form not in form fields and still can not select the font from the font list

Zapf Dingbats is NOT an Adobe trademarked font; therefore, it cannot be embedded and editable.

This is an font purchased directly from Adobe with an Adobe license.

I appreciate all your help with this issue.

David Chamberlin