Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

xfa.host.exportData()

Former Community Member

Hi, in the Designer scripting reference, the export data method,

it says that the parameter 1 (filename) is only valid if it's a "certified document where user has sufficient permission".

what does it mean by "certified document"?

how do I make it a certified document?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

So, the "certified document" refers to the PDF form that I am trying to export its form data?

Yes.

it's not about the resulting XML (or XDP) file from the export action?

No.

and if I don't have Acrobat Pro, I can't use parameter #1 of the Export method then?

Correct. You need Acrobat or LiveCycle ES.

still don't understand the reason why it won't allow me to specify the output file name when the document is not certified

Security. Consider a scenario where anyone could send you a PDF that writes a .bat file to your hard drive and takes ownership of the file system or re-writes the registry.

Steve

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Document certification provides a method for distributing an authenticate document without requiring a password. If you know and trust the sender and the document or the document certificate have not been changed or tampered with, you can trust the document. A certified document does not have to have a visible signature.

In Acrobat Pro Extended 9.x a document can be certified using a self-signed certificate or a certificate issued by a third-party. From the toolbar go to Advanced > Sign & Certify > Certify without Visible Signature.

Untitled.png

To create a self-signed certificate in Acrobat Pro Extended 9.x, go to Advanced > Security Setting > Digital IDs > Add ID.

For more on Acrobat Security see Choosing a Security Method

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7d77.w.html

Steve

Former Community Member

So, the "certified document" refers to the PDF form that I am trying to export its form data?

and if I don't have Acrobat Pro, I can't use parameter #1 of the Export method then?

still don't understand the reason why it won't allow me to specify the output file name when the document is not certified...

I mean, without using parameter #1 to specify the filename, it still lets me export the data and it does create a XML file,

I can then manually change that XML file's filename.

why not just let me use parameter #1 regardless if it's a certified document or not???

thanks.

Former Community Member

if I create a PDF form, and put a button on the form to invoke the exportData() method,

and I reader-extend the PDF,

when I use it with Reader-X on my own computer, I know I can export the data (it will pop up a file save dialog box) and it will create a XML file for me.

how about if I give this PDF file to somebody else, and he opens it on his computer, will the button work for him?

or I need to certify this PDF file first?

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Yes.

No.

Correct. You need Acrobat or LiveCycle ES.

still don't understand the reason why it won't allow me to specify the output file name when the document is not certified

Security. Consider a scenario where anyone could send you a PDF that writes a .bat file to your hard drive and takes ownership of the file system or re-writes the registry.

Steve

Former Community Member

OK.   Thanks very much for your quick responses.

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----