Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

XDP File using remote PDF

Level 1

In one of our applications, we have a script dump data from a  database into a well-formed XDP file, which the user can download. The  XDP contains a reference to a PDF (created in LiveCycle) on the same server via the <pdf> tag. The idea is the user can dump the data, download the XDP, which will  download the PDF and automatically fill in the data, and then  save, print, or e-mail it.

The problem is that Adobe Reader (or Acrobat), instead automatically downloading the remote PDF form, opens the  default web browser to try to download the PDF, and if you open it from  the browser it does not automatically populate the form with the data dumped from the  database. If I take the XDP and use a text editor to change the link in  the <pdf> tag to a locally downloaded copy, the form  populates fine, so the XDP is written correctly, however this is not a  practical solution, as most users wouldn't know how to do that.

My question is if there is a way to automate this process, so that  Adobe Reader or Acrobat downloads the PDF file and populates the data  automatically, and doesn't try to route the process through the web  browser.

0 Replies