Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Why Lifecycle Designer ES4 crashing on a pdf form created in ES2

Level 2

Designer ES4 crash.png

On HP Probook 4730s laptop with Windows 7, Designer ES4 keeps crashing on a pdf form created in ES2. Opening it in Adobe Acrobat Pro XI and reader is fine. Installed the ES4 sp1 did not help. Other forms are fine. No special fields on the form except some basic textboxes, signatures, checkboxes, lines.

Any idea about how to fix this?

Thanks

12 Replies

Level 7

Can you post the form here so we can take a look at it?

Level 2

Hi, here is the form to crash the designer ES4. Please let me know the cause.

Cheers,

Michael

Level 7

I do not see a link to your form in your post.

Level 2

Failed to upload file.png

Tried but not allow to upload into my account. Keep asking to follow a community but not let me to choose. Hard to use this platform:(

Level 10

Hi,

I don't have ES4 but your form crashes ES3 as well.  I opened the form in ES2 and from the XML Source view copied the bits you needed to a blank ES3 form, seems to be ok ... at least it doesn't crash now.

https://sites.google.com/site/livecycledesignercookbooks/home/PL9001.ES3.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

Regards

Bruce

Level 2

Thanks Bruce. it is fine now in ES4 but what is the cause for the crashing?

Michael

Level 10

Hi Michael,

I am not sure what was wrong, I did save both versions as XDP files, so I could compare the differences as two XML documents, but there was so many differences it wasn't obvious which one was significant, or which combinations were significant.  I guess is you really need to know, if it happens again or to other forms then you could try going though or the differences copy the ES2 elements across to the ES4 form until it stops working.

Regards

Bruce

Level 7

Using PDFStreamDumper, I found this:

<form checksum="/I/bugqsY9MYw688CDeeueRfqaM=" xmlns="http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-form/2.8/"

><subform name="form1"

><instanceManager name="_"

/><subform

><field name="Button1" presence="hidden"

/></subform

><instanceManager name="_"

/><subform

/><instanceManager name="_"

/><subform

/><instanceManager name="_"

/><subform

/><field name="SignatureField1"

/><field name="SignatureField1" access="readOnly"

/><pageSet

><pageArea

/><pageArea

/><pageArea

/><pageArea

/></pageSet

></subform

></form

>

Note the same signature field has been defined multiple times. I'm not sure how this happened, but seems like a likely culprit. In the future, try to keep your forms as XDPs until you need to distribute them, then save them as PDFs. The XDP files are just text, and thus easier to fix if something goes wrong.

Level 2

I believe those signatures were certifications assigned to the form every time there was an update to the form via Adobe Acrobat Pro. But normally they should have the different names instead of this one got the same names, which may be the reason crashing the ES4. Thus, the criminal may be the Acrobat.

Cheers,

Michael

Level 2

Has any expert found out what is the cause for this crashing? I have several files having the same problems.:)

Cheers,

Michael

Level 2

Found the cause which is due to the multiple certificates in one form. But not sure why not always crash the designer ES4.