Expand my Community achievements bar.

Why is user asked to add foriegn font package when opening livecycle document?

Level 2

I have three livecycle forms that I have multiple end users utilizing.  One of those form requires the downloading of a foreign or Asian font package to Acrobat Reader for some but not all users.  The other two forms work fine for all users.  What is different about the one form and how can I correct it so this does not happen? I would imagine it might have something to do with the fonts embedded in the Livecycle document.

6 Replies

Level 10

If you have used characters from one of the foreign font package in your form and the end user does not have that pack then I would expect that sort of message.

Can you add a screen shot of the exact message?

Level 2

I can not provide a screen shot because it is not happening to me just some of my users.  I know you are correct about the cause but I was wondering if it is possible to correct/modify the form such that it does not require the download of a different font package.

Level 10

I assume there is a character that exists in your form that maps onto a character in one of the language packs.  This is not necessarily a character from a foreign language.  We've had trouble with the clover leaf character that Word has as one of the options for a bullet point list.  The Adobe language packs are a separate installation so you should be able to uninstall it for testing ... might take a while to track down ... maybe if you look in the XML source view it will be encoded as something Ὄ

Level 7

When the form is open, go to File, Properties, Fonts Tab. It will show you all the fonts used in the form and might help you determine what the problem font is.

1521965_pastedImage_0.png

Level 2

I believe I have spotted the potential culprit. Comparing my forms that are working to the one giving us trouble this symbol is the only one not listed as Encoding: Ansi. Plus BR001 mentioned that some "symbols" have been giving trouble.  My question now is how do I find it in the form and change it.  I have virtually no HTML or xml training. Looking at source code - Is there a way to search for it and then how do I go about changing it to something that works without messing up the whole document?

Screenshot-ProblemSymbol.png

Level 7

I dont think there is a find font feature, not in ES2 at least. (Its great in inDesign)

You could search the XML. Open the XML Source and press CTRL+F to open the find dialog. The objects in your designer view are between the <field> tags.

I wouldnt edit the XML, that can cause problems. Just identify the problem object by searching for the font name and then edit it in designer view. In this example, my object is a button called btnNewSaveProfile. Look for the name of your object in the hierarchy.

1524765_pastedImage_4.png

Another option is to just embed the fonts in the form properties. That will increase the file size, but then the fonts are saved in the form so it can be opened anywhere even if the fonts arent on the user's system.

1524738_pastedImage_0.png