Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Where do you create word count for text fields?

Former Community Member

I am really new at creating forms in LiveCycle Designer and would like to know where to enter word count script for text boxes? I have found references to JavaScript strings but don't even know where to start typing them.

Is there an on-line users guide?  Is there a place to send the pdf and have someone look at it??

Also I get an error when I go to Preview Design or when I actually open the PDF I created.  When you hit OK it appears to work correctly. My computer tech thinks I have something locked but can't seem to find it.

here is the error message:

Script failed (language is formcalc; context is

xfa[0].form[0].form1[0].#subform[0].Header[0].Comments[0])

script=lock fields

Error: access or 'lock' is unknown

I spent an entire day trying different things but very unfairly with Javascript and where to enter it.

3 Replies

Level 6

Create a new text field named wordcount

Add:

var wordCnt = new Array();var str = this.rawValue;wordCnt = str.split(" ");xfa.resolveNode("wordcount").rawValue = "There are " + wordCnt.length + " words.";

to the text field you want to count the words in.  The tally will display in the wordcount field

Level 6

remove that script.  Add a new textfield named wordcount

Add this to the text field you want to count:

var wordCnt = new Array();var str = this.rawValue;wordCnt = str.split(" ");xfa.resolveNode("wordcount").rawValue = "There are " + wordCnt.length + " words.";

Level 1

var wordCnt = new Array();

var str = this.rawValue;

wordCnt = str.split(" ");

xfa.resolveNode("wordcount").rawValue = "There are " + wordCnt.length + " words.";

I added the script above to the layout:ready event of text field #1 and created a second text field named wordcount. The number of words appears in the wordcount field as soon as I leave the first text field. But I would like it to appear immediately while I'm typing. How can that be done?

Thanks!