Expand my Community achievements bar.

Where are the externalized strings for localization for default pods/apps?

Level 2

I have localized my application in spanish but the pods are still remaingin such as simplechat, notes etc. I did a search for the strings in the SDK, source code folder but I didn't find them. I checked developement guilde also but there are no references to localization.

Where can I find strings such as "Send, Enter chat here" etc for the simplechat and similarly for other pods/rtc components? Any documentation on this?

9 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi There,

All strings are in the source code, so you should be able to find them

there. For localization, try searching for "LCCS Localization" in the

"search forums" box. We've had a couple of threads on this subject, so I'll

leave you to those (short story - strings are localizable).

thanks,

nigel

Level 2

OK, Got it. Thanks a lot.

I had been looking for localization.properties or something along those lines.

I am struggling to understand why didn't you just put all the messages in a properties file instead of hardcoding? Is it on roadmap?

Employee

We actually do put all the messages in a property file but for historical reasone the "key" to a message is the "English message" (and the localization code just returns the same message back when there is no localization file installed)

Level 2

Raff,

I guess that is why you do not have english localization properties file, right? Because your key=value.

The challenge for your customer aka me is that I have go through all your code to find the keys. right? At least as per your following post:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2574366#2574366

Not only that in 3 months when I upgrade SDK, I will have to search again for new keys. If my understanding is incorrect then point me to a location where all keys are stored.

I appreaciate your help!

P.S: How is that your developer guide do not have detailed section on localization?

Former Community Member

Hi there,

All you really have to search for is getString( and formatString(. This

should return all localized strings.

I wouldn't worry about new strings - we're not actively changing UI,

especially strings. I don't think we've changed our internal property files

for ConnectNow in a year to add/change anything.

We don't have detailed docs on Localization because we enjoy having

conversations with pleasant and appreciative users such as yourself! In

general we wait until we've heard a request more than 3 times before

spending resources on docs for more obscure features. We're not an infinite

team, and need to prioritize what we do.

I hate to lecture, but I'd suggest that based on the amount of time we've

spent helping you through various issues (for free, mind you!), you could

really stand to be a little more cordial in your requests.

hope that helps,

nigel

Level 2

Nigel,

Sorry , if my comment came across blunt.

- I was under impression (reading about your Rosetta Stone display app etc) that you have many enterprise, international clients. So it didn't make sense that you are describing localization process in the forum. Once you reveal(indirectly) that you really do not have many clients..it all makes sense!

- No you are not providing free support. The hope is that we will use your platform and support adobe in one way or other. If this platform fails to meet minimum requirements then we will loose lot more than you. Think about hundreds of people on this forum spending their valuable time to test your software and hopefully make it successful. We all are paying you more a lot of money with our time. Hope you appreacite that and keep in mind while designing the platform. We are risking a lot more than you by trusting that your platform will live long and will work for us. We ask you hard questions up front, not to put you down but to see whether LCCS will really meet our customer's demand in long run.

Cheers

Employee

I am not sure where you got the impression that we had many or no clients by reading Nigel's answers, but anyway...

Just to go back to your original problem: the main reason why we are not prioritizing message localization is not because we don't have enough foreign paying customers to justify it. The main reason is that the majority of our customers end up not using the provided pods but leveraging the lower level infrastructure and building their own components (or maybe reskinning some of the existing components). So there isn't a large incentive for us to localize components that we provide for quick prototyping knowning that most of our customers will not use them. We prefer spending out time working on features that customers really need and we are pretty sure that smart customers can figure out how to localize the messages if thats what they really want or build their own components.

Level 1

Thanks Raff and Nigel.

I appreacite you guys putting so much energy into supporting the forum members.

Level 2

Thanks Raff for the detailed explaination.

P.S. : I could not find a way to edit my earlier message.