Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What is a Reader Extension Sever?

Level 1

Hi everyone

I have been se a task to create a presentation about Adobe Lifecycle Reader extension servers. Although my research helped me grasp what the reader extension service does I am still a bit confused as to how it fits into the Adobe Lifecycle framework?

Would I be right in thinking that the Reader extension servers reside in the Lifecycle framework? If so would anyone have any good links which would describe how these two work together ? (I have been on Google now for about 2 hours!)

If this is completly wrong then anything which can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hello,

I'm hoping this helps:

Reader Extensions is a module that you can purchase from Adobe and that can be installed as part of the LiveCycle framework. Once installed, you can access the service as part of your workflow. For example, you may produce a workflow that consists of 3 steps:

1. Access some data from a database

2. Merge the data with a template and produce a PDF

3. Reader extend that PDF

You would Reader extend (step 3) so that people who have the free Reader installed on their computer will be able to access functionality that normally would only be available to people who purchase Acrobat (i.e. digitally signing a form, saving data offline, etc)

Reader extensions works by digitally signing the document with a specific credential. That credential is recognized by Reader as enabling certain rights/features to that document.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hello,

I'm hoping this helps:

Reader Extensions is a module that you can purchase from Adobe and that can be installed as part of the LiveCycle framework. Once installed, you can access the service as part of your workflow. For example, you may produce a workflow that consists of 3 steps:

1. Access some data from a database

2. Merge the data with a template and produce a PDF

3. Reader extend that PDF

You would Reader extend (step 3) so that people who have the free Reader installed on their computer will be able to access functionality that normally would only be available to people who purchase Acrobat (i.e. digitally signing a form, saving data offline, etc)

Reader extensions works by digitally signing the document with a specific credential. That credential is recognized by Reader as enabling certain rights/features to that document.

Hope that helps

Level 1

Thanks for your super quick reply

This makes it alot clearer!!

Thanks again!

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----