Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

What am I doing wrong when trying to create a floating field?

Former Community Member

I am trying to create a floating field that is 'connected' to a global Text field. To my opinion I followed all instructions as in the help file, but it doesn't seem to work. Anyhow, the information I type in the text field does not pop-up in the text. I have setup the floating field as follows:

Type = Text field

Appearance = none (I do not want a box or something around the text)

Field format = plain text

Presence = hidden (excluded from layout)

Value = calculated (read only); I have tried all other options too, but nothing seem to work

Calculation script

Binding = global (and name is the name as used for the text field)

I have used another text field that is connected to the same text field as referred to above and that works just fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

10 Replies

Level 10

You have to create a text (not text field) first.

Then place the text cursor at that position in your text you want to add the floating field, click right ans select floating field from the context menu.

Designer then creates a hidden field that is used as source for the floating field.

Former Community Member

Radzmar thanks for your quick response. I have the text and inserted a floating field, but I would like to get my information for the floating field from any user input. Something as Word uses with bookmarks and references. Isn't that possible?

You mentioned that Designer creates a hidden field that is used as source for the floating field. But shouldn't I bind this floating field to some source field?

Level 10

Correct, you need a binding to another form field.

Therefore you have to rename the floating field to the name of the form field you want to use as data source ans set its binding to global.

Former Community Member

I have made the connection to a form field and have set the binding to global, but when viewing in pdf-mode and adding information in the form field nothing happens with the floating field.

Any idea what might go wrong?

Level 10

Well, the behavior of a floating field depends on the targert version of your form you selected under for form properties.

If the target version is set to 'Acrobat and Adobe Reader 9.0' or lower the layout has to be refreshed manually.

Therefore you need to add the script xfa.layout.relayout(); to the layoutReady:Event of the floatig field.

Former Community Member

Hi Radzmar, I have added the script to the layoutReady event, but somehow can't get it to work. Is it maybe also depending on the version I have? The version installed is 8.2.1.

Level 10

This function depends on the target version of the form, not of your Designer version.

Open your form in Designer and goto File > Form Properties and check what target version you set for your form.

Here's an sample form.

https://acrobat.com/#d=7vgLTu6fHcOYN5jzT*LzVQ

Former Community Member

Hi Radzmar, thanks! I don't what is wrong with my form because when I copy your sample it does not work, but when I make a complete new form and copy it it does work. I already checked several form options and changed some of the settings to dynamic. Strange thing is that compatibility stays at Static and cannot find how this can be changed to Dynamic. So, I deciced to start with a complete blank form and now it works.

Thanks!

Level 1

Hi Radzmar,

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same exact problem as the OP.  I tried to click on your link for the sample form that you created, but the link does not work.

Any chance you can upload the file again?

Thanks for your help.

Dean

Level 1

If anyone is following this thread, I found the solution to my problem where the Floating Fields did not work.  BTW, I am using LiveCycle Designer ES 4.

Under Form Properties/Defaults, you need to change "Choose Target Version" to "Adobe and Adobe Reader 9.1 or later".  Save the change, and floating fields should work now. 

Choose Target Version for Floating Fields.png