Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Video Quality Improvement?

Former Community Member

Like matetnic2 in his "WebcamPublisher:resolutionFactor=3?" post, I am also having trouble with quality/lag in my video.  My client is starting to show dissatisfaction with regards to the video (and I can`t argue with them). They compare everything with Skype audio/video quality, and if I can`t at least get somewhat on par with it, then we can`t move forward.  I have tried a number of settings, but to no avail!

I just have a few questions regarding video settings:

1)  What does setting the video bandwidth do to improve video quality?  I was under the assumption that the bandwidth setting was simply a cap that limited the bit rate of video transmission.  What do these settings (SLOW_IMAGES, FAST_IMAGES, HIGH_BW and HIGH_QUALITY) do?  From their names, one can conclude that hey must certainly affect FPS and quality, and if that`s the case, then do I need to still set FPS and quality in the WecamPublisher?

2)  I have also seen this code in a previous post:

var camera:Camera = Camera.getCamera();

camera.setMode(width, height, camera.fps);
var video:Video = new  Video(camera.width, camera.height);
video.attachCamera(camera);

Is it really necessary to go in and set everything directly in an instance of the Camera class?  It seems to me that setting width, height, and FPS with setMode() is redundant code, since all of that can be set within the WebPublisher/WebSubscriber classes.  I thought LCCS handled all of this so that we didn`t have to go down to that level?

3)  Are there any recommended, "magic" video settings that produce the best quality/bandwidth ratio for most situations?  I know other users have asked a similar question before, but I have to persist.  I have read the http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/articles/lccs_p2p_videochat.html article, but some of the recommendations (i.e. adjusting bandwidth on the fly) are a bit above my networking/coding skill level.

Hopefully this will help other users with similar questions/problems.

Thank you very much for any help or advice anyone can give!

Matt

3 Replies

Former Community Member

I apologize regarding my second question!  I was going through the "More Like This" sidebar and when I found that code I didn`t realize that it was not from a post in the "LCCS Forum", but the "Actionscript Forum".  Sorry for that!  I guess LCCS does handle all of the video setup!

I`m currently making a settings window where we can test various video settings (quality, fps, resolution, etc...) via slider components and then applied.  I just had one more question:  Can all these settings be adjusted/changed in real time, or does the Session have to be restarted?  I heard somewhere that fps can not be changed in real time.  Is this true?

Thanks,

Matt

Former Community Member

Hi Matt,

I'll admit that I don't know the answer off the top of my head, and our usual AV expert (Hironmay) is off on vacation. I'm not exactly sure if the Camera does update in real-time for quality settings, but if you've got your sliders hooked up, you should be able to tell pretty quickly (resolutionfactor, for example, should make a pretty noticeable difference). If it doesn't, you shouldn't need to re-start the whole session; just an unpublish/settings/publish sequence should be enough. Kind of a pain, but at least the user accept dialog doesn't pop up again.

hope that helps

nigel

Former Community Member

Nigel,

Thanks for your reply!

I have sliders set up for "quality", "fps", and "resolution factor" and they all appear to be changing the video quality in real time!

I will play around with the various settings and if I can`t find an acceptable combination, then I guess I`ll bug Hironmay for some numbers/tips when he gets back ; )

Matt