Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Variable user experience when using radio buttons to set Presence

Level 2

I've somewhat lost faith in LiveCycle due to the apparent unpredictability of what happens to the form for various users. I've really no idea whether this is due to their versions of Reader, Acrobat, Windows, or just the weather on the day, but I'll have another go at trying to find out.

I have (for example) a pair of mutually exclusive radio buttons with checkbox appearance, with Y/N options.  The Y option is meant to display a further question (that is normally hidden).

The N option retains the hidded status.  It works just fine for me in Acrobat X (LS Designer ES 9.0) and Reader X.

The code on the buttons is:-

form1.#subform[14].Table6[1].Row1.#subform[0].radio4[0].Yes::click - (JavaScript, client)

this.resolveNode("IfYesRef").presence = "visible";

and

form1.#subform[14].Table6[1].Row1.#subform[1].radio4[1].No::click - (JavaScript, client)

this.resolveNode("IfYesRef").presence = "invisible";

Some users send the form back with the text present (when it should be), but others tick the box but get no additional text.  The latest 'failure' is for a user withReader 9.4.0.

Elsewhere on the form is a dropdown date box, which on completion is meant to trigger more 'show and hides' and these don't work either for the same users.

Any (not too technical) suggestions welcomed!   I'm not a code jockey.

6 Replies

Level 10

you may try using the exit event of the button... this actually helped me on some issues with the radiobuttons

Level 2

I'll give that a go and report back...  thanks!

Level 2

Oh... using the exit event caused chaos :-)

No doubt due to the way I set up my fields, but for some reason the buttons then needed to be clicked twice before any reaction, then the visibility was reversed (set visible made the field invisible, and vice-versa) and finally the 'N' buttons had an effect on all three fields, not just the one in the statement.

Maybe I should try a different coding method altogether, but given that the form works OK for all my local users with ReaderX I'm having difficulty isolating the problem.

Level 10

I just realized that your buttons yes and no are in different subforms and also in different radiobuttonlist, using the exit event should be using the if statements to check if the value is exactly the value of Yes or No before executing any code

Level 10

Or you may try my best bet, use the click event like you used to, but insert if statements and use the click event of the radioButtonList instead of the yes or no button...

Level 2

Yes, I have three 2-button groups, associated with three hide/unhide single-row tables (i.e. a row of a few cells in which to answer if 'Y' selected), but they are all in the same subform.

The code snippet you suggest looks like something I've seen in the forum, but that uses 'decision.choice'.  Unfortunately these methods are unfamiliar to me (as is most coding!), but I'll delve in.
Thanks again.