Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Using Microsoft Network Load Balancing for Livecycle ES 2/2.5 with JBoss clustering?

Level 2

Hi,

Has anyone tried using Microsoft NLB for Livecycle with JBoss clustering and get it working? Able to login to livecycle's admin ui page with the NLB IP

My enviroment:

- 2 jboss application server (different IP address)

- Horizontal clustered

- LC ES2 installed on both servers

For those who setup successfully, hope you can share your experience.

Thank you.

20 Replies

Level 2

Lionel, are you having a specific problem getting your configuration to work, or are you just looking for others using this combination?

Level 5

Hi Lionel,

I'm doing the same configuration but still haven't finished.

When installing, did you choose the "Partial turnkey (separated DB)" or "LiveCycle Only" and using the pre-configurated JBoss ?

Thanks!

Level 2

Hi Gardner,

I'm having problem getting it to work.. i have setup up a jboss (4.2.1) cluster and with LC on top of it. Clustering is with TCP not UDP as i have read that only TCP works for MS NLB. But after setting up the NLB, i can't access to LC admin page with NLB IP address.

Hi Diego,

I'm setting it up with pre-configured JBOSS. How about yours? i hope it's going fine

Thanks

Level 5

Hi Lionel,

Actually I find the documentation a bit confusing. I'm trying to perform some tests and for that I have 2 Virtual machine (VMWare) and the windows NLB configured for those 2. But in the same LC documentation it says to run the installer normaly and proceed to configuration manager, whereas in another section says that we need to copy the pre-configured JBoss and do the configuration manually.

So, which should I follow? I just need to install Rights Management service.

Cheers!

Level 2

Hi Diego,

If you are doing the LiveCycle setup manually (by this i'm referring to non-turnkey setup), then you are required to run the Configuration manager to configure LiveCycle environment, and manually configure JBOSS as an application server (E.g for Clustering, databse access & .. etc.)

The configuration manager will export the LiveCycle ES2 EAR files during the process and you will need to copy these EARs to JBOSS.

Are you reading "Configuring LiveCycle® ES2 Application Server Clusters Using JBoss" version 9?

Cheers

Level 5

Hi Lionel,

Yes, I'm following that documentation. In this case, are you pointing the 2 app servers to the same database?

Level 2

Ya i'm pointing both to the same database.

Level 5

Thanks!

Just a few more questions...hehehe

In the document: Configuring LiveCycle ES2 Application Server Clusters Using JBoss.

Page 35 item 3.4. Have you had to configure the Caching Locators? If yes, where did you put them, in only one machine or in all of the nodes?

On page 29, iten 2.7 (Testing the JBoss Application Server cluster) says that for testing we can run the command specifying the server, in my case is:

run.bat -c lc_sqlserver_cl -b <ipAddress>

But in the Appendix C: Configuring JBoss as a Windows Service, it says: call run.bat -c all -b <ipAddress>

So when should I start JBoss with "lc_sqlserver_cl" or "all" ?

Level 2

Diego,

The Caching Locators can be put anywhere (not necessary JBoss's nodes) as long as it's locatable by JBoss. It can run with 1 locator but you may put > 1 in case one locator fails to start or is dead.

If you configure with lc_sqlserver_cl then run.bat -c lc_sqlserver_cl -b <ipAddress> . LiveCycle Modified JBoss does not has the all folder which comes with orginal JBoss.

Good luck on the setup

Level 5

Thanks Lionel!

How about your setup? Did you manage to get this working?

Level 5

Hey, just to let you know, I've got some problems with the Locators, and then I followed this article:

http://blogs.adobe.com/livecycle/2011/07/how-to-ensure-that-tcp-locators-are-using-correct-version-o...

Let me know if you get succeed.

Diego

Level 2

Hi,

My jboss cluster is working fine with the locators.

Just wondering, did u start the locators? By default it's in %LiveCycle Root%\lib\caching\ . You will see a startlocator.bat . Run that in cmd to make sure it start successfully.

And you have to configure the run.bat as well.

cheers.

Level 5

Oh yes, I didn't mention that mine is working fine too. The locators are running and the 2 nodes are seeing each other.

But how did you get the MS NLB working? I can't get access to LC through NLB IP address. Did you have to include the NLB ip in somewhere in JBoss?

I suppose that as the MS NLB is already configured, once we follow the configuration (guide below) it's just a matter to turn on both nodes and should work, right? And also since the NLB is set up, we don't need to set up nothing on JBoss - e.g. section 6 of the guide below.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/clustering_jboss.pdf

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Level 2

I can't get it working too, i'm having the same situation as yours - can't access to LC admin with NLB IP.i suspect there's a clash between NLB cluster and JBoss cluster which caused the problem..

That's the reason i'm having this discussion here , hopefully anyone who has configure it correctly to provide feedback.

Any update on your side?

Cheers

Level 5

Yes, I got mine working after I changed to bind all address no the computer.

Go to page 30, the note in the top:

"When you start JBoss Application Server 4.2.0, to bind all addresses on the computer (including the localhost) you can specify -b 0.0.0.0 instead of the IP address of host name".

So I did this and now it's working.

I followed this thread: http://community.jboss.org/message/215486

I hope it helps.

Diego

Level 2

Diego,

How many NICs did you have for each servers? and for NLB what did you choose :Unicast or Multicast ?

Glad that it's working perfectly for you.

Thanks.

Level 5

Hey!

I guess I missed this one, what is NICs ?

I didn't set up the NLB but it's defined as multicast

Level 2

Haha, Network Interface Card (NIC), how many network adapters are you using? 1 per server?

So you have a single LC server in the NLB cluster at the moment?

I got it working too.. next step is to try getting Single Sign-On working.

Cheers

Level 5

Oh, nice!

yeah, it's 1 card per server. Actually it's this 2 servers running with NLB.

That's good!

Cheers