Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Using formCalc or JavaScript

Level 5

Good Day All;

I am now getting into forms that require some calculations. In doing some reading I have seen where both JavaScript and FormCalc are being used. Can anyone tell me which is the better to use?

For the form I am currently designing I have tried formCalc but I have hit a wee bump. I have ued the following “if(cost_p_h ne 0) thenSum(60/file_p_h) endif” and received the following error

Script failed (language is formcalc; context is xfa[0].form[0].form1[0].#subform[0].#subform[1].Table1[0].Row1[0].dur[0])

script=if(cost_p_h ne 0) thenSum(60/file_p_h) endif

Error: syntax error near token 'thenSum' on line 1, column 25.

I am currently running Acrobat Pro 8 and the version of LiveCycle Designer is 8.05

Thanks All.

Chomp

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

It is becuase if files in blank it counts that as not equal to 0 so does the calculation. try:

if (files > 0) then

Sum(60/files)

else $ = ""

endif

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 4

Hello Chomp,

In your script you should give a space between then and Sum as follows:

if(cost_p_h ne 0) then Sum(60/file_p_h) endif”

Hope,this will help you.

Thanks,

Debadas.

Level 5

Thanks Debadas;

I made the change to "  if (cost_p_h ne 0) then Sum(60/file_p_h) endif

Then I get the following error

Script failed (language is formcalc; context is xfa[0].form[0].form1[0].#subform[0].#subform[1].Table1[0].Row1[0].dur[0])

script=if(cost_p_h ne 0) then Sum(60/file_p_h) endif

Error: arithmetic over/underflow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Chomp

Level 4

Hello Chomp,

You can not divide by zero, so you need to add code to only allow the division when you have a non-zero divisor.

So for  this script Sum(60/file_p_h), you have check wheather file_p_h is non-zero.

if(file_p_h ne 0) then Sum(60/file_p_h) endif

Thanks,

Debadas.

Level 5

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your post Debadas.

I have used if(file_p_h ne 0) then Sum(60/file_p_h) endif and I am still getting the arithmetic over/underflow error.

I created a new simple form with 4 fields

position = dropdown with 3 entries

wage = numeric field

files= numeric field

cost = numeric field

As soon as I open the form I get the arithmetric over/underflow error (divide by 0)

I put the code in the "cost" field using show = calculate*   if(files ne 0) then Sum(60/files) endif and the language = formCalc.

When I clear the error and enter a number in the "files" field, the calculation works.

I know I am missing something.. It is just the what.

Thanks again Debadas

Correct answer by
Level 7

It is becuase if files in blank it counts that as not equal to 0 so does the calculation. try:

if (files > 0) then

Sum(60/files)

else $ = ""

endif

Level 5

Thank you very much. worked like a charm.... Not toooo sure why the "ne 0" did not work.

Chomp