Expand my Community achievements bar.

Using Assembler to extract links from a file contained in a package

Level 1

Hi everyone,

I need help creating a DDX file that would extract links from the second file in a package. Can you point me to some examples somewhere? The file has links to other files in the package. It doesn`t work when I remove it from the package, the links seem to be broken, so I can`t extract them. I've tried a lot of ways with PackageFiles nameKeys but I always get the Cover page links for some reason. We need to extract the links to view what they need to look like.  Ultimately, I need to replace URL links with links to files in a package.  In the solution, I will extract URL links, replace them with GOTOE actions in the .xfdf file and reinsert the links in that PDF that's being packaged.  It will point directly to files in the package as oppose to web locations.  I plan to apply an XSLT transformation as a step in the process.

Thanks,

Alain Roy

3 Replies

Level 2

You mentioned that The file has links to other files in the package. How did those links get there? Were those links originally between PDF files in a relative folder structure? Then you put those PDF files into the PDF package?

Unfortunately, Acrobat 9 does not support hypertext linking between files in a PDF package.

You mentioned your lack of success getting the links from the second file in the PDF package. In your PackageFiles result element, you can specify the name of the file you want, but you cannot specify the ordinal number of the file.  Here is a DDX that extracts a file from a package. The <NoPackage> changes the result from a PDF package to a single PDF.

<DDX xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/DDX/1.0/">
<PDF result="myresult">
<NoPackage/>
    <PackageFiles  nameKeys="Recap.pdf">
        <PDF source="doc1"/>
    </PackageFiles>
</PDF>
</DDX>

Level 1

Thanks Kathy.

The links are created using Acrobat 8 or 9 using a package.  I go to one of the file, highlight some text and create link.  When setting the link, I open another document in the package or portfolio and hit the SET LINK bottom.  When I click on the link it works just fine in both 8 or 9.  If I use PDF Can Opener or PDF Optimizer (Browse PDF structure), I can see the link with a GOTOE action for an Attached file.  It works great - so I assume that is supported?

I tried extracting the file as you suggested, but when I do that, the GOTOE actions are gone - links point to Page 0.  I assume it's because it is no longer in a package.

Thanks,

Alain.

Level 2

You're right; Acrobat can create links between docs in a package. I learned something from you.

I don't know why the GOTOE actions would be missing.

Kathy