Expand my Community achievements bar.

User Error Message

Level 2

Is it possible to set up a dynamic form to alert the user that they missed a field that needs to have an entry?  For example,

If goal A, B, C is null and ratea, rateb, ratec has a score of 1,

then

"A goal has been entered without a corresponding rate.  Please review."

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Do A, B and C each get a rate or does A, B or C get a rate?

Is the rate a choice of 0 or 1, or something else?

Steve

Level 2

Yes.

Goal A and Point A are on the same line.  Goal A is open text area, and Point A is a drop down list options (blank, 0, 1, 3, 5)

Once the goals are completed, they are counted and the points for each are added and then averaged for a percentage score..  Some have clicked on a point and not entered a goal or vice versa.

Former Community Member

Take a look at the attached and see if it resembles your requirements.

Steve

Level 2

Nice!

If I enter in goal A and do not enter in point A, it will automatically pop up with error message.  If I enter in point A and do not enter in goal A, I need to click on Validate for error message.  When the error message pops up, the point and cursor stay and you manually have to move back to goal A.  However, if I go to goal B instead, it does not stop me. 

Originally, the form was in Excel using an error message to indicate when there were 6 goals and only 5 points or vice versa.  It could be bypassed, however, the message would stay until it was fixed.  The error message was located on a different page - by the required signature so that the user couldn't use the "I didn't see it excuse."  Is it possible to do this in Adobe or does the error message need to be line by line?

Former Community Member

No, error messages do not have to be line by line. Like any good development tool there is an endless variety of options. If you look through this forum you will see form validation is a very common issue and everyone has different opinions, preferences and requirements for capturing, displaying and managing messages on field-level and form-level rules.

I updated the attached with the score validation moved to the exit event. It includes the setFocus() method to put focus on a field requiring data entry. You have to be VERY careful using setFocus() since you can easily create looping validation from which a user cannot escape.

Steve

Level 2

Seems like its working the same way as in the previous document.

So it is possible to have an error message on a different page that will look at a particular section of the form to see if a goal or point has been missed.  In order to make it work, the user must click on "Validate"?  I like the reset option but then it reset the entire section and they would probably beat me. 

I'm pretty new at this, so I really appreciate your patience.