Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

usage reporting

Level 4

i need to get at usage information for my afcs app.  i need to know how much bandwidth was used in a room for audio/video streaming through FMS, as well as total connection times, so that i can bill the users accordingly.

i've looked through the server integration API and i don't see any functions for querying usage.  as far as i know, i can't write SSAS on the FMS side either.

i'd like to be able to get usage information right down to the user level if possible, even though i allow guests (and auto promote) into the app.  is there any way for me to query the afcs service to get this information?

4 Replies

Employee

Currently we are not exposing any reporting API but yours is a very valid request. We are collecting all the info at the room level (that you can see in usage stats in Developer Portal) but not all the info at the user level (and as you mention it will be hard to get valid data for guest users).

We are also working on server to server API and hooks so that you will be able to monitor in real time (we'll "POST" events to a server that you specify) room activity (and from there you can at least get room connection time for each user)

So, unfortunately currently there is nothing available that you can use (apart from "screen scraping" Developer Portal or analyzing the billing emails you should be receiving) but there are things coming.

What is the timeframe your are looking at for implementing your reporting ?

Level 4

thanks for the quick response.

i think this is a critical feature.  how else are developers supposed to monetize their AFCS apps?

it should be possible to track usage even for guest users.  an auth token is generated even for guest users, so the service could store usage data indexed by that auth token.  it would then be up to the developer to record that auth token on their side and query individual usage based on that token.

in the mean time, the crappy solution would appear to be having the client app check its own bandwidth in/out (which i assume/hope can be done) and push that data out to my own app server once every 10 seconds or so. 

my timeline for this is about four to six weeks.

Level 2

+1 to this.

If you post a FR let us know and I'll add a vote

tinylion development & design

Level 4

following up on this..

is there anything in the AFCS API that allows me to get the total streamed kbytes in and out for the current ConnectSession?

my intention is to poll this data every X seconds and record the total data usage for each user, so that i can keep track of individual usage and charge customers accordingly. 

i realize that i should first check if the users' connection is p2p or fms, and charge only for fms.

this is a short term solution until i can directly query the AFCS server for this usage.