Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Usage info

Level 3

I've completed an implementation of LCCS that is going into Beta now and preparing to roll out to a couple hundred clients in the next 90 days. The business until is asking me for usage metrics for the LCCS service so they can predict what our changes will be and in turn what we need to charge.

I've read a few posts on the subject and am still at a loss for how to manage this part of your product.

What are my options for determining how much I'll be changed on a per/room or per/user basis?

The rest of my app keeps track of the bytes loaded for AMF, http and Media Server downloads from the objects in the app. I guess I can do that with LCCS as well, but since much of that is under the covers with the LCCS components, I want to be sure there are no other options before I start ripping into it.

Thanks in advance for you help,

John

8 Replies

Level 3

Hi John,

As you can see from the developer portal graphs, the live stream bandwidth, push messages and user minutes determine your cost.  You will have to figure out the expected usage generated by a room and user to estimate how much you will be charged per room and per user.

Here is a forum post with more info on cost:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2502471#2502471

-Jamie

Level 3

Jaimie,

Thanks, yeah I saw what the unit charges are. What I'm looking for is actual usage info. I don't want to be estimating usage ie $$ to bill my customers. Is there a plan to add reporting on these services? Seems like a totalPushMessages, totalStreamsBytes and totalRoomBytes would be easy enough to add and would make this product a more attractive solutions for resale. Estimating usage isn't a good business model for a startup that's watching burn rate.

thanks for you response,

John

Level 3

Hi John,

We have this reporting in the developer portal.  Is that good enough for your use case or are you looking for an API to get these numbers?  I am not aware of any plan to add reporting APIs, but I can mention this to the team as a feature request if that's what you need.

Thanks,

Jamie

Level 3

Yeah, our product has 200 portals and 15,000 users on it currently so it's unmanageable to produce billing manually. We need to be able to generate LCCS costs through an API. Also do you guys have usage testing? If my clients all decide to host or attend live events at the same time will I be in trouble? So if there are 7,000 rooms and 20,000 attendees does it stand up? We are just getting started selling the product and I expect the usage to grow exponentially over the next year. How can I ensure a good experience to my customers?

John

Level 3

Ok, a feature request has been filed for usage and cost reporting APIs.  I will update this forum thread when a decision has been made. 

Would you please start a new forum thread for your usage testing question?  That way, someone involved with usage testing can see the new topic and provide you with some info.

Thanks,

Jamie

Former Community Member

Hi, has there been any updates with regards to this? Thanks.

Former Community Member

I second that!

I think that getting usage stats. for each room through an API is very important.

Thanks,

Matt