Expand my Community achievements bar.

trying to fill in fields programatically

Former Community Member

I do not have Acrobat or related software. I get finished pdf's from another person in the company, who is now on vacation. What I'm wanting to know is when one creates a pdf with form fields in it, does the pdf have to be created so that inputted information can be save with the pdf? When I pull up the pdf by itself, there is a purple bar that says that I cannot save data typed into the fields.  I'm trying to write code that will take input from and web page and merge the info into the fields of the pdf. I'm not having any success with this, and I'm assuming that it is because the pdf itself was not created in such a way to allow it to be saved with inputted data. Am I correct?

Is there a way I can upload this pdf to Acrobat.com and change this, or will my Acrobat person need to do this?

Thanks

1 Reply

Former Community Member

...does the pdf have to be created so that inputted information can be save with the pdf?

There are two options for enabling users to fill and save interactive PDF forms on their desktop:

1) Put Acrobat on each users machine. The common interactive form features provided by Acrobat include local save, data import/export, connectivity to Web Services, and digital signatures.

2) Add rights to the PDF for Reader clients. A rights-enabled PDF will enable Reader to act like Acrobat and support the interactive form features listed above.

There are two ways of rights-enabling a PDF:

1) Use the server product Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES to add the rights to the PDF (through a simple, Web-based UI or pogrammatically through the Java API, Web Services, or the Flex API)

2) Using Acrobat Pro Extended. Acrobat Pro Extended has a feature to right-enables a fixed number of PDF forms.

When I pull up the pdf by itself, there is a purple bar that says that I cannot save data typed into the fields.  I'm trying to write code that will take input from and web page and merge the info into the fields of the pdf. I'm not having any success with this, and I'm assuming that it is because the pdf itself was not created in such a way to allow it to be saved with inputted data. Am I correct?

As above.

Is there a way I can upload this pdf to Acrobat.com and change this, or will my Acrobat person need to do this?

No. Maybe (as stated in 'two ways of rights-enabling a PDF')

Steve