Expand my Community achievements bar.

Trying LiveCycle Before Buying

Former Community Member

Hi,

I am finding it difficult to get started with the Trial Versions of LiveCycle. Would you please throw some light on this?

I started with this page: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/trial/?promoid=EWMIB (Adobe LiveCycle ES2 trial version)

There are three options to install the trail version:

Option 1: Download the trial version of LiveCycle ES2 (3 GB)

Option 2: Download LiveCycle ES2 VMware virtual appliance (2 GB)

Option 3: Hosted trial option: LiveCycle Collaboration Service: Sign up for a free RIA developer trial account

I used Option 3; signed up for an account. It shows a dashboard; but I can't figure out what to do next to access LiveCycle trial.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

8 Replies

Level 2

Hi TeamPM,

You have signed up for a free trial of our hosted service called Adobe LiveCycle Collaboration Service. This LiveCycle module allows you to build and deploy real-time, multiuser collaboration tools. This hosted service lets you offer in-context collaborative experiences, such as live chat and video, to online users. Once you build your online RIA, your users will be able to access the multiuser collaboration tool you design using their browser and our free, ubiquitous Adobe Flash® Player runtime. For more information on how LiveCycle Collaboration Service works, go to: http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/collaborationservice/

If you where looking to build and deploy applications that allows your organization to interact easier with information from backend systems, improve business process automation, create a more intuitive user experiences then you'll want to download the LiveCycle ES2 trial software which comes in two formats, LiveCycle ES2 trial download or the LiveCycle ES2 VMWare Appliance. For more information and customer stories on the LiveCycle ES2 platform visit: http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/

For more information on how to get started with the LiveCycle ES2 platform visit the Getting started page on the Developer Center: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/get_started.html .
I also recommend checking out the LiveCycle ES2 getting started video found here: https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a295153/LCES2_Developer_IntroThe LiveCycle ES2 download page also provides installation instructions and documentation that you will find useful.

Hope this helps.

Former Community Member

Thank you for your VERY prompt and detailed response!

I have two questions now

1. I opened a free trial account; what exactly I should do to start "LiveCycle" application?

the screenshot attached)

2. I also installed the Windows version on my desktop. During the install there was a problem with my Acrobat version. It gave error. I installed the correct version of the Acrobat (v9.2). How do I restart the LiveCycle server? I don't see any program entry under Start >> Programs >> Adobe LiveCycle ES2. (it shows "(empty)"

Any help to move forward is greatly appreciated.

Level 2

Hi TeamPM,

Which LCES2 download did you install? JBoss Turnkey?

Former Community Member

Hi DevInf0,

I really appreciate your help with this... Let me explain this...

1. I was originally trying to use the Online hosted version (LiveCycle Collaboration Service) hoping that I will be able to create an account and start using the LiveCycle ES2 (workbench, server, etc.) using the Sample files. But I am not able to go 1 step further after I created the free account (I also added $5 once; Ii am not sure where did it go and how it is handled). The screenshot (PDF attachment) was from the LiveCycle Collaboration account home page [what I referred to as 'dashboard' above]

2. I also tried VM Ware Virtiual machine version on a 64 bit Windows Vista using the free VM Ware Player. It gave me error at the end ( I couldn't figure it out)

3. As the last option, I tried to install the windows JBoss Turnkey version. Everything went well. I have a couple of problem

3.1 : When I try to open the "process" file of a sample project, within LiveCycle Workbench, I get this error "Java Platform SE Binary has stopped working". I tried to instal the latest version of Java; it still gives the same error.

This is where I am; any help is greatly appreciated !

Former Community Member

Hi DevInf0,

Here is the screenshot with Java runtime errors.

Hop this helps in finding the cause.

Level 8

Hi TeamPM;

I'm a little confused as it looks like you are mixing up two different products here.

LiveCycle is a platform under which there are several different products (the definitions are overly simple, but you get the idea):

• Enterprise Suite 2 (LC ES2 is a Application Server based suite for the creation and manipulation of documents (such as PDF).   LC ES2 consists of many modules that do different document tasks (Reader Extensions, Rights Management, Output, PDF Generator, etc.)
    In your original post this would be Options 1 & 2.

Your post of Jan 7, 2010 11:56 AM contains a screen shot of a crash of the Workbench tool that is used to develop applications using the ES2 services.  Its not possible to know what went wrong with this screen shot.  From your description as of Jan 6, 2010 6:35 it looks like the install was aborted because of your Acrobat version.  You'll have to re-run the install now that you've updated your software.

Questions and issues for the ES2 server should be posted to the ES2 Forums (http://forums.adobe.com/community/livecycle/livecycle_es) so you get the proper response.

• Colaboration Services (LC CS) is a hosted application for building collaboration tools (chat, video, document sharing, etc.) into Flash/Flex applications.
    In your original post this would be Option 3. 

LC CS is only available in a hosted model - you cannot run it locally (except a limited dev environment).  Your post of Jan 6, 2010 6:35 PM has a screen shot of the Developer Portal for LC CS. 

Your best starting point is to click on the icon marked SDK Download.  This will install an AIR tool that will provide you with all of the developer tools to get you up and running.  This includes the SDK, video tutorials, samples, etc.

• Data Services (LC DS) is a platform for accessing backend data for Flex applications.  You haven't mentioned it in your post, but I thought to mention it incase you come accross it.

• LiveCycle Express  (AKA Developer Express) is a hosted version of the LiveCycle ES2 product

Former Community Member

Hi Hodmi,

Thanks a lot for your detaield response.

Per your suggestion, II posted the question on "LiveCycle workbench ES" forum.

Here is the link:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2502684#2502684

Please see if you can hlep me with starting my trial .

Thanks,

Level 7

Regarding the "VMware virtual machine", do you remember the error you received?  Was it from VMware Player or from the LiveCycle appliance itself?  Thanks.