Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

The "This form is interactive and has special features" error when trying to make annotations.

Former Community Member

I create, revise, and manage over 200 forms for a company and when working on creating or revising a form, I have several stakeholders who provide feedback during the development process and most like to use the Adobe Acrobat annotation tools which is helpful for me too.

We have been using Livecycle Designer since the ES version, went to ES2 and now have both ES2 and ES4.  I never alter the default settings.  Lately, some of the managers have been getting the error which states the forms have special features and you cannot leave sticky notes, highlight or whatever.  From reading past post on this, it is because these forms are Dynamic versus Static.  However, with our 200 forms, several can have notes added, probably most of them.  What would create this difference of static vs dynamic when the settings are touched by me?  All of our forms are fillable pdfs using textboxes, checkboxes, radio buttons, etc.

Here is a link to a pdf which will not allow editing:  http://fulfillment.cfgweb.com/showpdf-sku.cfg?sku=WR01CS1008&clientcode=wrf

Here is a link to one that will:  http://fulfillment.cfgweb.com/showpdf-sku.cfg?sku=WR01CS0011&clientcode=wrf

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies

Level 10

When you save a PDF out of Designer you have a choice of Adobe Dynamic XML Form (an XFA form) or Adobe Static PDF Form.

XFA forms don't have the same functionality as regular PDFs so a lot of stuff is disabled. But if you are creating dynamic flowed forms and have scripting for showing and hiding, etc. then you need an XFA form.

I looked at both your files and neither of them seem to be doing any dynamic stuff so you should be able to save the one that doesn't allow editing as a Static PDF.

Static files are also created when using background artwork (pdfs, etc.) that you lay fields on top of.

Level 1

for me dont working i have the same problem like rjrobbins and your and your solution doesn`t working for me

Former Community Member

Okay, that did work with that one.  I think I may be confused on what constitutes a dynamic pdf.  What kind of elements would cause one to only be dynamic.

Level 10

@vajos - It depends on what you have going on in your form. Though you should be able to save a dynamic form as static and get commenting, etc. but your form won't work properly.

@rjrobbins - I'm not sure of everything that requires the form to be saved as dynamic. Maybe someone else here can chime in. But a lot of scripting won't work correctly in a static pdf. You can't have flowing documents or hide and show things properly.

Basically if you save your form as Static and everything works - great! But if things break then you'll need to save as Dynamic.