Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tab order - tabbing moves across pages!

Former Community Member

The tab order is set for every page. Looks great!

However - when I test in either the Preview PDF or by opening in Reader, tabs work for a while, then one will skip to a later page, follow ok, then skip to somewhere else, even missing some text fields altogether.

Also, some of the footer objects are tabbed and highlighted. If the user isn't paying attention and just tabbing along and typing in, the footer will actually be deleted!

I have read a little about the Traversal in xml page, but is that all there is to fixing this?

The form isn't particularly long, but about half of 25 of these sections with multiple tabs are acting up.

Any ideas please?  

thank you!!

Marla

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi Maria,

I find custom tab orders a pain and tend to leave the tab order to automatic.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind with tabbing set to automatic:

• The tab order progresses from left to right and from top to bottom.
  • Even if an object on the left is a fraction below an object on the right, it will get the focus second.
  • Once a user tabs into an object in a subform, tabbing will work through all of the objects in subform before it goes back out into the form.

There is an example here: http://assure.ly/gBUUXB.

So I would recommend automatic tabbing; alighed objects; and grouping objects for particular sequences.

In relation to the footer, try using static text objects instead of textfield objects. If you need textfield objects then set it to "Calculated - read only" in the Object > Value palette.

Slán,

Niall

Former Community Member
Hi Niall -
Go raibh míle maith agat!!
Had a difficult day today, no time to work on my forms.
Tomorrow I will review the forms for all of the suggestions you've given me.
I will let you know how things go!
Marla