Expand my Community achievements bar.

Spark Pod?

Level 2

Hi

Are there any plans to release any of the pods etc as full spark components?

Also, what are the general plans to build against flex 4?

If there are plans for this, is there a pre-release program and if so who do I talk to about getting onto it.

I have a flex 4 project and added an eralier build of lccs and did a few hacks to get everything working (although I do mean just working, not exactly perfect or looking great)

I need to know what tyhe plans are for spark before I set about having to start writing my own.

thanks in advance as always

glenn

tinylion uk

6 Replies

Level 3

I've had no problems compiling everything with flex 4/spark. Generally, I wrap the pods in my own component and take care of the styling that way.

Can you be more specific about the issues you ran into?

Level 2

Hi

Last night I downloaded the latest SDK (the flash 10.0 version) as it worked right out of the box. So my issues must all have been based on older SDK

Is the source for the 10.1 targeted version going to be posted too?

Also, I just wondered if there were plans to rebuild the high level pods with spark, just for new skinning etc. nothing particular, just wondered what the plans were

So far I'm loving this product. Its saved me months of work (which is always nice

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Glenn

Tinylion uk

Former Community Member

Hi Glenn,

We're definitely thinking about Spark, likely in a post-summer timeframe.

For us, our 2 main goals around Flex frameworks have been :

1) Make sure the UI components we offer work within Spark, even if they're

really Halo. With the fix I made to the SharedWhiteboard the other day, we

should be up to par there now (sorry all for the annoyance!).

2) Encourage developers to throw away our UI and build their own, based

around our models. For example SimpleChatModel makes it easy to bind a

design built in Catalyst to a functional chat. Likewise, the AudioPublisher

/ Subscriber or WebcamPublisher/Subsriber don't really have Uis (in the case

of WCS, it's just a video rectangle).

So, we feel like we could be doing better, but overall, we're in pretty

good shape, and we'd rather spend the majority of our time adding new

capabilities to the platform than chasing the latest framework (when does

Flex 4.5 come out? =).

If you have any specific examples of stuff we should be considering, please

let us know - your feedback is the most valuable factor in our

considerations.

thanks!

nigel

Level 2

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the message.

I think you have absolutely the right idea.

As soon as I added the latest build, everything worked right out of the box into our flex 4 application. Zero problems. First compile all was working. Top marks there.

Your idea of focusing on features rather than UI I think is correct.

I think now the Flex 4 architecture has been nailed down I can't see the actual APIs changing any time soon. I imagine the near future will just be new components targeting spark.

So, as long as your sdk works in that environment, whether the components themselves are mx or spark may not be hugely important.

May be it would be a good idea if you did rebuild one of your pods to target spark, just to have both component models represented in the codebase.

If nothing else just to show users how to target both component models with your APIs

Maybe just having simpleChat as spark component so at least inside your sdk there are concrete examples of how to use your APIs with both flex components models.

Im a big fan of LCCS and have been since the first change I had to play with the early cocomo code. How long has it been now? Only feels like yesterday that it was first put out there, or maybe it's just the number of names changes that make it feel like that

Anyway, thanks for the info

Regards

Glenn

Ps - when will the 10.1 targeted code be made available?

Former Community Member

Hi Glenn,

I was actually once building a SimpleChat pod with the spark components when spark was in its primitive stage. I will see if I can put such an example with current spark set in coming releases to help users like you.

And Regarding 10.1 code, we would be glad to put it out for users just like 9 and 10 but we haven’t decided on any exact dates as of now.

Also 10.1 SDK is kind of beta build and so, if you are playing with 10.1 and find any issue, please let us know.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Hironmay Basu

Level 2

Thanks

Im still using 10.0 version until the code for the beta lands (lol Im a code junkie), but seeing as .1 is beta I'll add it for some tests if it'd help

I've some park components under construction for lccs. I'll pop them out on a blog when they are done.

Im on a kind of mission to try and get as many people as possible over to spark (just in general, not talking about you here) as I find the new component model so nice to work with. I think once people build their first custom component with spark after using mx they will never go back.

Thanks as always

g