Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

SOAP Error Handling (timeout & service down)

Level 2

Hello everyone,

I've implemented a WSDL connection with a postExecute event handling the SOAP fault messages (has described in the XFA specification). The form needs to handle the following scenarios;

1. Successful operation: WSDL doesn't return soap fault code.

2. Failed operation (WSDL returns soap fault code).

3. Connection timeout (? - simulated by setting a breakpoint in WSDL).

4. Failed to connect to WSDL (? - simulated by stopping WSDL service).

First two scenarios are properly handled however I'm having a harder time with the last two. Initial testing showed Reader actually handled these scenarios by displaying an error message however the postExecute event doesn't fire which makes sense. I implemented this solution in another form and can't get Reader to generate the warnings anymore. Note the first two scenarios work fine in the new form. I notice one time Reader wrote the warning in the JavaScript debugger. Not sure why since the debugger is always enabled. Why would it write to it this time and not previous times?

Questions

1. Is there anything that can affect this type of messaging? Reader preferences?

2. Is there a better/safer/consistent way of handling timeouts/failed connection other than relying on Reader?

Form built in Designer ES2, target version 8.1

Reader 8.4

Reader Extensions ES2

Thanks much!

Hélène

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

The examples that I have seen use a try catch block and if the catch gets fired then there is an issue. It returns a number (14) but no description so you could test for the e.number == 14 and write your own message. Other than that I do not know of a way (unless you use the Acrobat Soap object method).

Hope that helps

Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 2

Good morning,

Further testing showed that clicking the button, generated by the WSDL connection, Reader displays a dialog box with warning when the connection failed (good). The behaviors changes when I use script to execute the click event of the WSDL generated button. In this case, Reader writes the warning in the JavaScript debugger console instead (not good).

I also tried changing my script to execute the connection using script e.g. xfa.connectionSet.DataConnection.execute(0); . Makes no difference. Reader still write to the console.

The reason why I'm not using the WSDL generated button directly is because I need to verify the form has changed before connecting to the WSDL. The WSDL is responsible to saving the form's data. Maybe I should move this script on the preExecute event? I'll give it a try.

Hélène

Level 2

Forgot the xfa.event.cancelAction is not supported in xfa 2.6 so can't move the script to the preExecute event.

Ah well, if anyone has any idea why Reader writes to the console instead of displaying a dialog and/or if there is any way to work around it please let me know, that would be great.

Thanks again.

Hélène

Former Community Member

Are you executing your code in a try/catch block?

Paul

Level 2

Hi Paul,

It's good to hear from you. No it's not executing in a try catch. Let me try that and I'll get back to you.

Hélène

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

The examples that I have seen use a try catch block and if the catch gets fired then there is an issue. It returns a number (14) but no description so you could test for the e.number == 14 and write your own message. Other than that I do not know of a way (unless you use the Acrobat Soap object method).

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 2

Beautiful! That's exactly what I am looking for and more. It allows the form to customize the error message instead of displaying Reader's default message.

Thanks again for your help Paul, I appreciate it.

Have a good one.

Hélène

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----